The other point of view

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Debian, you are absolutely correct in your observation. This is indeed annoying.

Of course it is annoying.

Its always annoying to us when anything inconveniences us or holds us up…people stopping at tops of escalators, fumbling for change at the till, cycling in front of our bikes at the lights so that you have to take primary to get back where we were in the first place.

Its human nature to be annoyed by others actions. We don’t stop to think there may be a good reason for them, we just get annoyed and sometimes we hit out only to be hit back even harder or made to feel embarrassed for our lack of patience and humanity.

Debian, I suspect you have gained valuable experience from another point of view that can only help to make you a better road user.

Thanks for sharing it with us

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Well...

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the replies in defence of the cyclist. I happen to think the cyclist was in the wrong on all counts.

Defensive road positioning in one thing, I do it myself all the time and I'll take primary at the drop of a hat.

But, this cyclist a) did something unlawful and b) did something that there was utterly no need to do.

In strict legal terms a pedestrian crossing is just that, a crossing for pedestrians. It's not lawful for a cycle to use a pedestrian footway or crossing or footpath whether it's being ridden or pushed. In strict terms a footway of any sort is for pedestrians along with "any normal and usual accompanyment to walking"; that is you can take e.g. a pushchair or a dog because they are associated with walking. A cycle is not associated with walking and is banned from using any way set out purely for pedestrians. Ergo you shouldn't even push a cycle across a pedestrian crossing.

Leaving the previous paragraph to one side though, a pedestrian crossing is.... a crossing.... not a get yourself to the middle of the road device. If a cyclist wishes to push his bike from one pavement to the pavement on the other side then that's fine by me. It's not fine to use a pelican crossing as a device to stop all traffic while a cyclist gets on his bike. Especially as, as I've already said, there was very little traffic, certainly nothing to stop even a novice cyclist entering the carriageway via the side road five yards away in the normal manner.

And that's all apart from the issue that there were no lights on the bike.

It's wrong, plain and simple and we have to take responsibility for our actions and abide by the rules. There's plenty on here who will moan and grumble about motorists at the drop of a hat but who won't criticise a cyclist for breaking the same rules of the road.

And to those having a veiled dig at me over this, don't. Nowhere did I say I needed educating about the safety of cyclists as I'm perfectly well aware of all the issues. I never wittingly put a cyclist under any form of pressure and I didn't in this case. But come on everyone. Grow up and keep to the same rules that you insist everyone else keeps to.

Well...

But, this cyclist a) did something unlawful and b) did something that there was utterly no need to do.

In strict legal terms a pedestrian crossing is just that, a crossing for pedestrians. It's not lawful for a cycle to use a pedestrian footway or crossing or footpath whether it's being ridden or pushed. In strict terms a footway of any sort is for pedestrians along with "any normal and usual accompanyment to walking"; that is you can take e.g. a pushchair or a dog because they are associated with walking. A cycle is not associated with walking and is banned from using any way set out purely for pedestrians. Ergo you shouldn't even push a cycle across a pedestrian crossing.

Possibly you want to google "Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441"

Origamist

Legendary Member

Incorrect - you can legally push your bike over a pedestrian crossing.

davefb

Guru
Possibly you want to google "Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441"

wouldnt that be someone crossing a crossing with the bike ie wheeling it...

not going halfway , then getting onto the bike..

i'm with debian,, its unsafe to do this and ignorant of other road users.. why not pull off from the kerb while looking?

if a car driver sees a cyclist ready to set off from the side of the road, but just pulls in (no indicators) and blocks em... i'd consider that a similar move, ignorant..

and no lights,,, insane...

As I see it its a thread about an obnoxious cyclist that has no consideration for any other road user. How difficult can it be to understand that a little thought for other road users would make everyones journey that bit easier? A quick look around this forum shows plenty of cases where cyclists jump up and down when a car driver does something stupid or inconsiderate, so why should it be different if a cyclist screws up?

Cyclist that does something completely legal is screwing up?

Ever thought that the cyclist might have trouble crossing the road without using the crossing? How difficult can it be to understand a little thought for other road users would make everyone's journey that bit easier?

/edit - if you think about it, if said cyclists goes to the HASSLE of using the crossing to enter the road, doesn't that just tell you how hard/long/awkward/dangerous/etc it takes to enter the road? It might have been empty on said day but its most likely a pattern that continues regardless of the level of traffic - unless OP observes this time after time I would be inclined to go with my initial thoughts.

jimboalee

To push your bike across a Zebra or Pelican crossing without upsetting the poor motorists....

Let one tyre down and pretend you have a puncture.

jimboalee

Maybe the cyclist was partially sighted. He is not allowed to drive a car or ride a motorcycle. Must he walk?

One of my Mom's brothers lost an eye half way up a Normandy beach in June 1944. He was disallowed from driving so he rode his bike 5 miles each way to work at half past six every morning and half past four every afternoon. Shirley Heath to the Rover, Solihull.

'One eye'd Joe'. Some afternoons, Mom and I would meet him in Solihull and ride with him for an afternoon visit.

To push your bike across a Zebra or Pelican crossing without upsetting the poor motorists....

Let one tyre down and pretend you have a puncture.

That's okay.

Just don't faint in the road... that really annoys them, 10x worse if you happen to have a heart attack - get out of the bloody road you dawdling maniacs!

wouldnt that be someone crossing a crossing with the bike ie wheeling it...

not going halfway , then getting onto the bike..

i'm with debian,, its unsafe to do this and ignorant of other road users.. why not pull off from the kerb while looking?

if a car driver sees a cyclist ready to set off from the side of the road, but just pulls in (no indicators) and blocks em... i'd consider that a similar move, ignorant..

and no lights,,, insane...

Yes, It was just referring to the quoted bit of the OP message, that crossing is not unlawful walking a bike.
The other stuff probably makes you appear to be a git to other road users.

Jaguar

Yes, but the point you're missing is that he (could have been she) used the pedestrian crossing in order to stop the traffic.

I'm possibly a little thick, but isn't that what they are for?

(I take your point about holding up the traffic, but I too sometimes use the zebras or pelicans to cross lanes: it's otherwise impossible at certain times of day)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm possibly a little thick, but isn't that what they are for?

(I take your point about holding up the traffic, but I too sometimes use the zebras or pelicans to cross lanes: it's otherwise impossible at certain times of day)

Ahhhh.....So where were you at 6.30 on the 6th...anywhere near the west midlands?;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well...

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the replies in defence of the cyclist. I happen to think the cyclist was in the wrong on all counts.

Defensive road positioning in one thing, I do it myself all the time and I'll take primary at the drop of a hat.

I did this last night - walked across the road with my bike as the cycle stand was on the opposite side of the road to the pub using the pedestrian crossing and then back again to the pub. Once you are walking with your bike you are a pedestrian, not if you scoot, how else is a cyclist to get along a pavement legally - as I had just walked my bike for the last 400m with a friend?

In fact I use it frequently if you are shopping and need to get to the other side of a busy road - and it is on busy roads that they put in pedestrian crossings.

jimboalee

I went for a little ride out yesterday afternoon to Wolverhampton, and on the way back came through Brum centre. Right outside Aston Uni is Brum's busy Queensway. There is a Pelican crossing. Many students with bikes were using the crossing, so remembering this thread, I eyeballed the motorists waiting. None were overly bothered.

One chap on a black tourer took great delight in chasing me down and giving me a loving smile as he passed. You should have seen the look on his face when he saw it was a bloke riding a BSA shopping bike :laugh: , I blew him a kiss.

Top Bottom