The panniers might go flying...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Hi all,

Sorry if I'm doing something dumb here, but I've got a mountain bike that I've acquired a rack and pannier set for.

Attached the rack, attached the panniers... but no matter what I do my feet are always hitting them on the upstroke.

Are some panniers just not suitable for mountain bikes? Or is it my big feet?

As far as I know the panniers aren't overly huge, about 33cm.

(Sorry if all that's vague
blush.gif
)

Annoyingly I was hoping to use them for my commute tomorrow as I need to take extra stuff into work, but as it is at the moment it just won't happen.

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm doing something dumb here, but I've got a mountain bike that I've acquired a rack and pannier set for.

Attached the rack, attached the panniers... but no matter what I do my feet are always hitting them on the upstroke.

Are some panniers just not suitable for mountain bikes? Or is it my big feet?

As far as I know the panniers aren't overly huge, about 33cm.

(Sorry if all that's vague
blush.gif
)

Annoyingly I was hoping to use them for my commute tomorrow as I need to take extra stuff into work, but as it is at the moment it just won't happen.

Can you tilt them so that the bottom is further back than the top? (may involving adjusting the rack too, depending on the pannier fitments).

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
I did muck about with the positioning. Problem is, the stabilisers (that fit to the top of the frame) are fully stretched as it is. The bags themselves are tapered at the bottom too.

Looking on the net most rear bags seem to be about this width, hence why I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
OK, please excuse the crapness of the pics. Had to run out to take them. Oh, and ignore the mess behind the bike..........

This is pretty much the position I'm forced to leave the rack in because of the top connectors. As you can see, it leave it stupidly far off horizontal

http://img268.images...i/36144107.png/

And as you can see, if I was to put it horizontal, I'm missing about 3 inches of metal.......

http://img840.images...i/71415636.png/

And in terms of the panniers, here's what we're looking like...

http://img826.images...i/23798224.png/

Obviously the rack needs some work (I can easily mod that after a quick trip to the DIY store), but what's your thoughts... bike too small?

(Hoping to get more of a commuting style soon if finances permit, this was just a stop gap option)

(edit: should mention the bike is on a rear stand, so admittedly the angle of the rack isn't AS bad as it first looks, but I still think it should be horizontal)

jay clock

Massive member
It is a common problem on an MTB. Wheels are smaller than road (ie touring) bikes and therefore the rear axle is nearer the bottom bracket. Usually solvable by fiddling with fixings to move them back as much as possible

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
It is a common problem on an MTB. Wheels are smaller than road (ie touring) bikes and therefore the rear axle is nearer the bottom bracket. Usually solvable by fiddling with fixings to move them back as much as possible

Do you think the only halfway solution just getting a top bag for the rack? I'm pretty sure I got it all as far back as it would go.

Might just be the photos but that wheel looks small. Is it 24 inch? It would explain why you are struggling so much.
Could you exchange the rack for a seatpost mounted type, something like this. They can't be loaded as heavily and the one my son uses on his bike is a nuisance for moving off the centreline of the bike so can need adjusting whilst out but it would enable you to raise the panniers out of the way.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
You're right: the solution is longer struts so that the top of the rack sits horizontal. You might be able to get something from a DIY shop to use as long struts, but bear in mind that they need to be quite stiff to stop the rack wiggling behind you.

I bought a rack for my tiny wife's tiny bike at Spa Cycles a few weeks ago: they sell a kit of extra-long struts to solve exactly this problem. (The kit's not on their website, but phone and ask).

battered

Guru
I had a similar problem and fixed it by adjusting the hanger points on the panniers. That works. ALso, you may have more than one hanger at the bottom, by the axle, and this may help you shift the angle. As you've guessed, it needs to be nearer horizontal.

If you go the DIY route, watch out for sharp edges when you've DIYed your brackets. You don't want a bike making holes in you in a spill or carrying it up steps.

Chickc78

Looks like your Pannier Bag is way too far toward the front of the bike. I have a slit in my pannier bags similar to that which you are locating over the bar of the rack - I don't use it - try moving the bag back at least 2 inches - gravity will hold it down and the fixings behind the drop part on each side should secure it.

:thumbsup:

In fact - is that the Lidl Pannier Bag? If so it is exactly the same as mine. Mounting it wit the rack poking through the slit would mean you can't fit the top 'suitcase' style bag - I'm not too sure what the slit is for, I initially tried to fit like you have but then realised my mistake when attaching the top bag.

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
Thanks for your help everyone, will have a play around and see if I can solve it. Will save getting a sweaty back on the commute........
Might just be the photos but that wheel looks small. Is it 24 inch? It would explain why you are struggling so much.

26 inch wheels, probably is the pics (although to be honest the frame is on the small side)

Looks like your Pannier Bag is way too far toward the front of the bike. I have a slit in my pannier bags similar to that which you are locating over the bar of the rack - I don't use it - try moving the bag back at least 2 inches - gravity will hold it down and the fixings behind the drop part on each side should secure it.

:thumbsup:

In fact - is that the Lidl Pannier Bag? If so it is exactly the same as mine. Mounting it wit the rack poking through the slit would mean you can't fit the top 'suitcase' style bag - I'm not too sure what the slit is for, I initially tried to fit like you have but then realised my mistake when attaching the top bag.

It is the Lidl one - well spotted! Had the rack going freely, so conveniently bought the panniers from there thinking they would be handy to test and see how I get on with them.

I will try adjusting them backwards, I assumed the slit was there to prevent the bag slipping back.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There's about two and a half inches of seatpost left in the frame.

Should be okay with that.

I bring my seat post out by about 3-5 mms past the maximum sign and I still have about 2.5 inches left.

Bike makers err on the side of caution so they put the max sign higher than they need to.

Top Bottom