The Perfect Backpack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having had my backpack for only a year, it is falling apart, the inner lining is shredded and there are several tears along the ziplines, rendering it non-waterproof. So thinking about replacing it made me realise that apart from those flaws, it's quite a nice functional backpack and will be difficult to replace with a similar model. For the new one to do so, it needs the following:

a) Standard 25-litre size
:laugh: Be waterproof, not water resistant
c) Be of sturdy canvas material, not flimsy nylon that tears easily
d) Padded shoulder straps and back for comfort
e) 3 Pockets: Large main pocket for clothes and sarnies, medium outer pocket for bike repair kit, tubes, pump and bike lock, small zip pocket for house keys, work door card.
f) 2 mesh pockets on the sides for gloves and woolly hat
g) Most importantly, mobile phone holder pocket on shoulder strap. Not for mobile phone but for electronic bike shed door card so you don't have to go hunting for your card, just lean against the door!

Trick is, finding one just like that that isnt the same make as the one I've got!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For me, these days, on road, the perfect backpack is a saddle bag.

Off road Camelbaks are still the rule for me.

So I guess it rather depends on what sort of riding you do and what sort of stuff you need to carry in your pack.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

just general commuting stuff which is why i need something with room for clothes etc. i never use it when doing my long weekend road rides as i have a little saddlebag for my tubes and repair kit.

g00se

Veteran
OK - not a rucksack but a messenger bag - but it looks like it fulfils most of the requirements (I've had one a while now and it's very resilient):

http://road.cc/content/review/12479-lezyne-messenger-caddy-bag

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...ndlebar-bags/product/messenger-caddy-10-37587

a) Standard 25-litre size

24 litres I think...

:evil: Be waterproof, not water resistant

Yup - the phone compartment on the strap is not but the bag itself is.

c) Be of sturdy canvas material, not flimsy nylon that tears easily

It's polyester but it's
fibre-laminated (like gaffer-tape). Very tough.

d) Padded shoulder straps and back for comfort

Check.

e) 3 Pockets: Large main pocket for clothes and sarnies, medium outer pocket for bike repair kit, tubes, pump and bike lock, small zip pocket for house keys, work door card.

Main bag is huge with an isolated laptop compartment that can be used to keep shirts flat. It's also got a 'hidden' area inside with pockets for inner tubes, pumps, toolkits etc. On the outside under the flat are more pockets for smaller items (tyre irons, pens, wireless comp etc).

f) 2 mesh pockets on the sides for gloves and woolly hat

Only one on the outside but see above re flap.

g) Most importantly, mobile phone holder pocket on shoulder strap. Not for mobile phone but for electronic bike shed door card so you don't have to go hunting for your card, just lean against the door!

Yup

Most important thing? it has a built in bottle opener....!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
trustysteed said:
just general commuting stuff which is why i need something with room for clothes etc. i never use it when doing my long weekend road rides as i have a little saddlebag for my tubes and repair kit.

I meant a proper saddlebag, ideally from Messrs Carradice & Co, not a piddly little seat pack. My Nelson is 15L

Top Bottom