the perfect quandry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

euskaltel87

Hey

I've loved my wee Carrera Valour and have cycled it almost into the ground over two years (about 80 miles a week avg, rain & shine) and the recent salty roads have apparently done it in. I'm far from a mechanic but the local bike shop say it needs a new back wheel (it locked up & wouldn't free wheel but some WD40 solved that), new cables & brakes - they're saying £200 which is sooooo not worth it (bike cost £320 two years ago). The brake cables need replaced for sure and there's movement in the back wheel to say the least but do you guys think it's worth the (limited) house room to keep it as a winter bike ? So, two questions....

1. Is it worth trying to tinker with the old Valour to keep it as a winter bike and learn a bit about mechanics ?

2. My work's gonna do the Ride2Work thing with Evans and my budget's £30 a month that'd see mee be able to spend about £750 tops....I luuuuurrrvv the Bianchi Via Nerone 7 Xenon - is that what you would choose ?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Unless the LBS has had the back wheel apart then they wont know what is wrong with it. Could be something easy like tightening up the cones or maybe the bearings need replacing.

I'd learn a bit more about the mechanics.

The Bianchi is similar to most of the major brands at that price - but it has a good groupset and apart from the wheels I'd be happy to ride it.

Top Bottom