The personal cost of the lock down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Still working and being paid. My wife's income will stop at the end of this month so we lose some income, although she would not be paid over the school summer holidays in any case if this goes on that long. I would say we are spending less and will not have a summer holiday to balance our income loss. Probably break even.

Brooks

I'm on universal credit getting roughly £70 a week, I have a food budget of £30 a week and now it's bloody tough to get the budget items I rely to get by as the panic buyers are hoovering up the cheap stuff first.
I don't eat meat so rely on beans lentils, pasta and veg and I've been struggling big time getting what I need and keeping to my budget.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the biggest impacts on our household are not really financial:
  • kids off school, but both parents working
  • eldest home from london so sleeping on our best camping bed in the living room for the foreseeable
  • riding fewer miles as not commuting
  • mrs alecetc is worried what she'll pick up working in care
financially, we're drinking more coffee (pods and filter), using more bog roll and probably drinking more booze of a weekday evening (naughty). and one extra adult to feed…

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs d reckons were saving about 200 sovs a month. Neither of us are using any road fuel, and she is being more diligent about using food before it has expired, so nothing is going in the bin and the groceries are going a fair bit further. I've switched from Laphroaig to Treachers because I can't find any - I guzzle a bottle every 3 or 4 weeks, so that's another 20 quid a months saved.

Smudge

Veteran
After a week of having no booze, i'd had enough yesterday, so decided to get some. Thought it was better to go to a quiet corner shop, rather than go to one of my usual supermarkets.
But with corner shops there is little choice and its expensive. Not so much bothered about the cost, but i couldn't get anything decent. Just got four cans of Strongbow cider.
Starting to miss Lidl & Aldi, where there's a decent range of decent quality beer, wine & cider.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lidl and Aldi still stocked OK with wines and beers. Corner shop's OK - one in the next village has brought forward selling Alcohol - they had a licence but hadn't yet done it as they were doing a refurb, but with all the 'stuff' going on, they have stocked up with booze !!!

Must say being more careful with food dates, and batch cooking. Teens complaining, but tough - there are few 'snacks' in the house - only decent food, and we're only doing one of us going to shops (me).

PK99

Legendary Member
Financial impact on us is positive.

Retired with Final salary index linked pensions

Holidays, meals out, cooking for friends coffee after the gym, gym fees, gigs, sneaky visit to the pub etc etc all cancelled for foreseeable future.

Taking the opportunity to help the cash flow of the Grimsby fish delivery guy by stocking the freezer, and a friends SiL's farm shop start up.

Planning to spend locally in small business as soon as things open up.

Top Bottom