The Plug II & Garmin 800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I read, can't recall where, a rather negative review of The Plug, although it has to be said it does look like a very neat solution.

I dithered for over a year about which rectifier to charge various devices from a dynamo. Finger hovered over the buy button on a B&M e-werk many times but in the end I went for the Pedalpower Super-I-Cable on the basis that
a) it is (apparently) very efficient at dealing with incoming voltages that vary considerably with speed (and without blowing up like the Dahon Reecharge does if you don't read and follow the instructions very carefully)
b) it includes a (replaceable) 18650 battery that smooths out the electrickery going out to whatever you want to use.... smart phones are especially sensitive I believe.

I've not used it in anger yet, only charged the internal battery from the mains and checked it powered my Garmin Etrex or charged my phone.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Thanks Ppp. My new wheels, with Son dynamo are due in a couple of weeks, so I think I'll go the same route as you. Cheers
Ross

yello

I've been putting off getting an e-werks. It does in all honesty seem the perfect, albeit expensive, solution to my single GPS problem (battery life).

yello

This thread rekindled my interest in the subject and I've been doing a bit of research.

I read reports on a US site about the E-werks batteries (the cache) failing - one person had 3 out of 4 go. Also, reports of poor life of the battery; very quickly, it taking longer to charge and not lasting as long. This puts me off. The E-werks is not a cheap bit of kit.

I found the similar Zzing. Looks good and around 2/3rds the price. Of course, it could suffer similar battery problems (I feel this is an inherent problem when charging a battery from a fluctuating/variable source like a dynamo).

There are several self build options (on which I am not keen as I have no ability in that respect!), and a number of cheaper options that do not incorporate a cache battery. I don't fancy those since I don't want to risk frying my GPS.

The PedalPower+ SIC looks good but isn't cheap either.

I still keep coming back to the conclusion that I'm content to use a simple battery extender (they are affordable, disposably affordable even) and AA batteries. It's rare for me to want extra GPS life so, given the price and considerations around the hub charger options, I think I'll stick with it. I do like gadgets though!

Top Bottom