The right way to improve cyclists safety!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
POLICE caught 121 cyclists not wearing helmets

"As a result of Operation Pedro 3, which included catching cyclists for other noncompliance offences, police are now urging riders to think about their safety before hopping on to the saddle.

The operation was launched following a rise in injuries and fatal crashes in the Sydney CBD and surrounding suburbs over the past year.

It was conducted between 6am and 6pm yesterday and involved police from 10 commands including Surry Hills, Sydney City, Leichhardt, Newtown, Rose Bay, Harbourside, Hurstville, Sutherland, Botany Bay and the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command.

During the operation police issued 121 infringements to cyclists who were not wearing helmets and 25 infringements to cyclists who disobeyed traffic lights.

A further 28 cyclists were stopped for riding on the footpath while four cyclists were charged and 45 infringements issued for other offences.
"

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
FFS, what do they expect in a city where the motorists are so hostile to cyclists? I can easily understand them riding on footpaths. As for all the helmet fines, it would be nice if the police spent their time on something a bit more worthwhile :angry:. If they want to reduce the fatal crashes, then they need to start EDUCATING MOTORISTS, not blaming the victims.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
A great example of effort spent in the wrong place. As Victor says, why not educate the motorists instead of victim blaming? It's like the annual crackdown on cyclists with no lights in Cambridge (coming soon I'm sure) - there's never a similar one for uninsured/untaxed/mobile-using motorists.

Edit: I must be psychic. Look what the local rag is reporting today:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cyc...dge-targeted/story-23778998-detail/story.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom