The ultimate in weight weenie nonsense?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Encouraged by the natter elsewhere about the relative merits of certain pinky brake pads I thought I'd take a look at Clarks.

Found these - a very good price and I assume they are decent from a decent company.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-72mm-replacement-cartridge/rp-prod55822

but was shocked to find in the description/marketing waffle:

>> All excess material has been stripped away to create the lightest pad profile

FFS it's a brake pad and I rather like the idea of material I've paid for being progressively stripped by my rims, not before I buy them.

Any more examples?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
>> All excess material has been stripped away to create the lightest pad profile

excess: an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable

HTH

OP
OP
Blue Hills

excess: an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable

HTH
mm - if genuinely excess, ie nowt to do with braking, put it on the braking surface please.
(lots of good reviews but one did say that the pads had snapped - so maybe too much stripping)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Helium in tyres was probably the ultimate nonsense. Assuming a very high pressure track tub, it could contain up to 15 litres of air (before compression), which is...oh...18g. Using helium saves about 13g.
cripes - a real thing?
Would love to see a link/stuff on folks' experiences with that.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I bought some Clarks brake blocks once. They're in a spares box ready to be given away to someone I don't like.

Encouraged by the natter elsewhere about the relative merits of certain pinky brake pads I thought I'd take a look at Clarks.

Found these - a very good price and I assume they are decent from a decent company.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-72mm-replacement-cartridge/rp-prod55822

but was shocked to find in the description/marketing waffle:

FFS it's a brake pad and I rather like the idea of material I've paid for being progressively stripped by my rims, not before I buy them.

Any more examples?
Save weight by not having any brakes - all they do is slow you down.

Anyone live through the Drillium days? :laugh:
Yes - by never using any.

Clubmate of mine drilled tiny holes all the way around his large chainring, I was there when he pedalled away from the shop at the start of a club ride and his chainset collapsed :laugh: One of the funniest things I have EVER seen :laugh::laugh::laugh: *

* nobody hurt.
Oh my. I would pay good money to have seen that. That was a golden age.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
cripes - a real thing?
Would love to see a link/stuff on folks' experiences with that.
The US track team used it in the 1984 Olympics. The tyres wouldn't stay inflated for long, as helium diffuses very quickly through the tiniest pore or gap. Probably just long enough for a pursuit!

Sharky

Guru

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Helium in tyres was probably the ultimate nonsense. Assuming a very high pressure track tub, it could contain up to 15 litres of air (before compression), which is...oh...18g. Using helium saves about 13g.

The major snag with helium is that it leaks through gaps that other gases don't even consider to be gaps so your tyres would be flat much quicker easily negating the couple of grammes of gas you'd saved

Top Bottom