The worst commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the worst commute that people undertake on a regular basis?

I live in Germany and now that the warmer weather is coming I am thinking about leaving the car at home a couple of days a week and taking the bike.

Total distance of my commute is just over 11 miles but with an elevation difference of 1,450 feet (all uphill on the way back with gradients over the last 5 miles of around 7-8%).

Bad or am I a wimp?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My daily commute is 12 miles one way. It's a sideward D shaped run - Climb > flat > descend.

Climbs are around 700 feet so not as bad as yours. Having said that, The climbs are deemed worse than they are. When I'm climbing I don't think they're too bad, but when I'm walking or driving and see the hills in the distance, they look frightening.

Been doing the commute daily since summer - hadn't ridden since my teens before then

Try it a couple of times on a day that you don't need to go to work and see what you think. You'll surprise yourself.

OP
OP
C

Cap_Scarlet

Veteran
Moodyman said:
Try it a couple of times on a day that you don't need to go to work and see what you think. You'll surprise yourself.

So far I tried it once on a non-work day (i.e. not much traffic), the run down into work took about 25 minutes (on a work day it typically takes me 30 minutes in the car) whereas the run home was 1 hour 15 mins

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
With that much climbing thats not so bad. it takes me around an hour to get home and have around 600ft of climbing on that over 14 miles. So it's pretty light, but i got lots of traffic so a lot of the time i'm held up by that.

I think that 1.15 home is pretty good Cap Scarlet, I have 330ft over 3.5 miles (so i guess that would equate to the first third of your journey!) in approx 25 mins.
It is sometimes daunting, but mostly you just get on and do it. It makes up for being for so fun on the way into work in the mornings! :biggrin:

Top Bottom