There goes another one!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KenG

Cycling to work this morning among the pothole strewn roads of Hull, when i heard that well known "twang" to realise another spoke has bitten the dust. Where i work its virtually impossible to avoid the potholes without moving out into oncoming vehicles,so slowing down before dropping into them is the only way.
Thatys the eighth spoke gone in the last 10 months, maybe i ought to look for a stronger wheel!

:angry:

asterix

Comrade Member
Cycling to work this morning among the pothole strewn roads of Hull, when i heard that well known "twang" to realise another spoke has bitten the dust. Where i work its virtually impossible to avoid the potholes without moving out into oncoming vehicles,so slowing down before dropping into them is the only way.
Thatys the eighth spoke gone in the last 10 months, maybe i ought to look for a stronger wheel!

:angry:

Fatter tyres? Rock-hard road tyres must surely give a wheel far more of a battering than wider less pressurised ones.

Do you rise from the saddle when you hit a bump, letting the bike pivot on the BB spindle or sit there like a lead balloon!

OP
OP
KenG

KenG

My bikes a Cannondale F6 mountain bike so has fat tyres as standard, 2.0 i believe, and do indeed stand up when i hit the holes, doesn't seem to make any difference, ive contacted the council on several occasions only to be asked the location and be told that they'll send an inspector to log the pot holes, i started contacting them 2 years ago!

:sad:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Must be a badly built wheel. I'd get a new one, myself.

As for reporting potholes, I'd use fillthathole.org.uk - it's an independent record of pothole reports that other people can search to help them with claims against the council. Keeps councils honest.

martynjc1977

Veteran
What roads you riding on ? I know greenwood ave has a couple of large pot holes but nowt to nasty, I usually navigate the mean streets of hull on a road bike with skinny tyres.

OP
OP
KenG

KenG

What roads you riding on ? I know greenwood ave has a couple of large pot holes but nowt to nasty, I usually navigate the mean streets of hull on a road bike with skinny tyres.

I work on Sculcoates lane and have to travel down Bankside to get there, some of the potholes are ridiculously deep, you cant move around them as the road is very narrow and other vehicles insist on overtaking you.
Most of the cyclists at work who use the same route say the same, some of the women cyclists refuse to ride down Bankside as they say its too dangerous, so they walk on the footpath, pushing their bikes.

pshore

Must be a badly built wheel. I'd get a new one, myself.

Yeah. Sounds like your local roads would warrant a the money spent on a hand built wheel.

The major factor in the strength of a wheel is how well the spokes have been tuned and stress relieved. Factory/machine built just can't compete. More spokes are better for strength too, eg 32 or 36.

There is a small chance that your old wheel (rim+hub) could be rebuilt with new spokes but unless perfectly round, they can be tricky to build perfectly and could waste your money.

martynjc1977

Veteran
I work on Sculcoates lane and have to travel down Bankside to get there, some of the potholes are ridiculously deep, you cant move around them as the road is very narrow and other vehicles insist on overtaking you.
Most of the cyclists at work who use the same route say the same, some of the women cyclists refuse to ride down Bankside as they say its too dangerous, so they walk on the footpath, pushing their bikes.

Bankside/Wincomlee I take the lane down that road stuff the people behind me. Used to work at crown paints on stinky Sculcoats years ago.

Top Bottom