Thieves foiled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

der alt

Was out in the centre of Edinburgh today and nipped in to a book shop ,was in roughly 5 mins ,went back to unlock the bike which was locked up in a M/bike parking bit some swine had locked a Kryptonite M/bike chain through the back wheel .Much cursing and raging followed which resulted in me having to go get a spanner and undo the back wheel which i then relocked up with the u lock and then walked home ..not happy ...
Went back with a hacksaw after 6 tonight and cut the offending chain and got me wheel back ,having had a few words with some fixie mates it seems this is the usual ploy for thieves to get bikes ,i bet they were a bit surprised to find that their ploy didn't work this time .
On the plus side i end up with a fairly heavy duty chain which the u lock will fit through but after due consideration it only took about 20 mins to cut the bugger through and it is fairly heavy .But it's always nice to get one up on those swine ..:wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice on mate, yep sounds like that classic old thieves trick doesn't it?
Good on you...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The other trick is superglue in the lock. Someone told me a lighter on the key and jamming it in will work on that one.

If someone did it to me I'd be tempted to lay in wait:evil:

OP
OP
der alt

der alt

Tharg2007 said:
you can see why they do it, I bet the whole time you were there sawing away no one challenged you.
Buggers, well done!

Your right couple of car drivers gave me a strange look and someone standing at a bus stop took a picture but no one bothered to come up and challenge me kind of shows you how society is these days ..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done - I'd be there stripping my bike if the buggers did that, or hang about till my missus and kids could bring the garage kit with them......grrrr...

Depends upon how well lubed the lock is to defend superglue.....if well lubed, you'll be OK....

Lucky they didn't do the rear of the bike, not just the wheel.... oh I could get very cross........ heh....smart thinking there fella...........

PBancroft

I hope that they acquired that lock the legal route and are now fuming at the unexpected expense! :thumbsup:

Good for you in getting everything back. Might it be worthwhile letting the local rags know? If they take it up it could be some positive publicity for cycling (for once) and might warn others that thieving twunts are operating in the area...

Bman

Guru
Well if the thieves use them, then it must be pretty good!

I mean, you wouldnt use a lock that you *know* you can crack in minutes would you?

Anyway, you didnt saw off the lock, the defeated thieves must have removed it before you went back to collect your wheel :thumbsup:

OP
OP
der alt

der alt

Bongman said:
Well if the thieves use them, then it must be pretty good!

I mean, you wouldnt use a lock that you *know* you can crack in minutes would you?

Anyway, you didnt saw off the lock, the defeated thieves must have removed it before you went back to collect your wheel :thumbsup:

I like the cut of your jib sir :biggrin:

Tharg2007

Veteran
it seems to have a lower rating than the evolution mini, I personally would use nothing weaker than a revolution mini and thats for leaving the bike for a very short time.

I might start taking some superglue about if im planning on locking bike up outside, then if another chain appears and I have to go get a bolt cutter I superglue the thieves lock, that way they have 2 locks to saw through.

Top Bottom