Thin wall socket for crank bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am renovating my SIL's late 80s Pinarello Catena Lusso and having problems getting the Miche cranks off. I assumed the bolts were a standard 14mm but they are a bit bigger, I think 15mm. The 14mm socket is small enough to fit in the threaded area, but will not fit on the bolt, but the 15mm socket is too wide to fit in the thread hole.

Can anyone recommend a make/supplier of sockets that has thinner walls to do the job?

I don't have a grinder so can't just make the walls of an existing socket thinner.

midlife

Guru
I use a combined icetoolz pedal spanner and box spanner. I'm sure it's 14 / 15 mm

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Never heard of those before, but they do look good, if a bit 'fragile' for crank bolts. They seem to be quite expensive.

Never had an issue with mine when undoing crank bolts

Must admit i do use my Jobsworth spanner more though
I will check if its 14 or 15 mm and if it is you are more than welcome to borrow it

gbb

Legendary Member
If a standard socket wont go in I suspect a peanut spanner wont either.
Cheap sockets are the answer. I cant specify which unfortunately but cheap sockets tend to be thin walled.
Box spanner's a good idea but a good quality one if it's done up tight.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
The 15mm box spanner worked a treat. :smile:

I'll try another question before opening another thread.

The BB cups are on quite tight so, before I exert too much force in the wrong direction, are they a standard thread direction on the 80s Pinarellos? (Clockwise to loosen on drive side, anti-clockwise on the left side)

Ajax Bay

Guru
The BB cups are on quite tight . . . . are they a standard thread direction on the 80s Pinarellos?
Need to be sure what type of BB you have - the Italian ones are right and right. Take the left hand side off and pull the spindle out. Consider NOT removing the right hand one, at least not just for the hell of it.
See this Sheldon Brown page for more info:
https://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bottombrackets.html

Italian36 mm X 24 tpirightright
(wrong!)
70 mmItalian and some high-end French bicycles. Prone to problems due to the right threaded fixed cup, which tends to unscrew itself in use.

Top Bottom