Think I saw/passed someone doing JoGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

Think I passed a JoGLEr yesterday evening - twice! Coming down the A49 from Haydock towards Warrington yesterday evening I noticed a bike in the distance as I approached. What stuck out was it was laden with panniers - 3 on the rear and 2 on the front. That looks heavy, I thought!

Then I got back to my place in Northwich, got changed and went out on the bike for an hour. Did a loop up from Northwich back towards Warrington then as I got closer to Winnington I saw a bike in the distance and thought that looks familiar. It was the same guy but he was 15-20 miles from where I first saw him!!

I was gonna chat but thought it best to let him pedal on so I just said "hi" as I passed him. I had the advantage of being fresh and not carrying loads of kit so disappeared off into the distance. On that route - A49 through Warrington heading towards Northwich and laden with panniers I think there's a good chance it was a guy doing JoGLE.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I often wonder whether a heavily laden cyclist is doing a LEJOG when I see heavily laden bikes going through since I live near a couple of the main south to north routes through Bristol (if they aren't using the Portway). It always starts me wondering and hoping their journey is going well.

JohnCKirk

Veteran
What's the A49 like? My current route plan involves following NCN 44 ("Six Castles") from Ludlow to Shrewsbury, which is 80 km, and I'd like to reduce that a bit. At the same time, I'd prefer to cycle on quiet roads rather than dual carriageways.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I rode down the A49 from Manchester on my Cornish ride and i can happily say it was no problem.I cut off at certain points like going through Wem but overall it is a good road to cycle on.

shirokazan

Veteran
Bit surprised by these favourable comments of the A49. I crossed it a couple of weeks ago, as I was heading north out of Ludlow on my way to Much Wenlock, and it seemed a real racetrack.

Gingerbloke

IIRC, the roads around Ludlow and Leominster all are fast roads, but do have really good shoulders for riding on. In my 884 miles last week, I only felt I had been passed very close on about 4 occasions, on the whole I didn't have any real issues with motorists. I think the busiest road of the whole trip was the A9 along the east coast of Scotland.

Top Bottom