Thinking about going horizontal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On both my Street Machine and Catrike I use Mirrycle mirrors.

I simply hook my thumb over the mirror and rest my hands that way

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I was thinking about this thread whilst out on the SMGTe today. It occurs to me that after the initial "deathgrip" stance of the noob wears off, there is almost no strain at all on the wrist. But in the first few weeks, the tendency to find oneself off balance could put quite a load on unexpected places. Its all plain sailing after a while, but I definitely pulled stomach muscles (for example) whilst getting the hang of the bike.

tongskie01

I was thinking about this thread whilst out on the SMGTe today. It occurs to me that after the initial "deathgrip" stance of the noob wears off, there is almost no strain at all on the wrist. But in the first few weeks, the tendency to find oneself off balance could put quite a load on unexpected places. Its all plain sailing after a while, but I definitely pulled stomach muscles (for example) whilst getting the hang of the bike.

me too. the bodys response is to tense up a bit when still learning which doesn't really help. but still depends upon individual. some learn a lot quicker than others.

BenM

Veteran
I can confirm that the death grip goes after a while :smile: - on the trial day I had riding at ForestRow (Ely is a little far for me) I had to keep muttering "relax" to myself... these days I am seeing if the Orca can be ridden no handed - I have seen pics of people doing it but I think they were rolling rather than pedalling.

B.

Fiona N

Veteran
.... but I definitely pulled stomach muscles (for example) whilst getting the hang of the bike....

Ha yes - the idea that riding a trike requires no core stability is blown out of the water the first fast, curvy descent you do. Then the requirement to move your body weight to keep the inside wheel down means that you're constantly curling your torso up and left / right. I ended up with sore abs after my first Alpine descent (approx 3 weeks after getting the Windcheetah) :biggrin:

The estimate of 6 months to adjust is very much mileage dependent (IMHO). I rode my Windcheetah 90 miles from AVD to home when I collected it, which resulted in hip flexors being replaced by large rusty nuts and bolts (metaphorically speaking ;)) and then left for a tour to the south of France taking in a traverse of the Alsace, Jura, Swiss Alps and Ligurian Alps :biggrin: after which my muscles were very well adjusted. Sadly there was a period of about 10 days in the middle when every day was a blur of pain from my quads and hip flexors. So you can choose to do it slow or you can choose to do it quick but it usually takes > 1000 km.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Well after a little incident with the bordman I finally got around to doing something about this & picked up a Bacchetta Giro ATT 26 today. I rode it home 61 miles at an average of 20.16mph into a slight headwind :eek:!... & according to the guy at the shop with some adaption I should get faster :laugh:

The down side is I can barely walk my gluteus hurt so bad.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The down side is I can barely walk my gluteus hurt so bad.

What a poetic way of putting it
laugh.gif

byegad

Legendary Member
Recumbut, as the Left Ponders call it, is cured with a more reclined seat or more padding on the seat, not in your shorts.

I second the estimate of 1000km, certainly a minimum of 500 miles and more likely closer to 1000 miles seems to be the point where you stop thinking about riding the bike and just ride naturally without odd muscles complaining. (Or worrying about stopping and starting!) You'll get faster after that too, but very much dependent on your style of riding/training.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
byegad, I'm not convinced it's that. As while riding I was fine, it was only after I'd properly cooled down & started doing other things that stiffness developed which it slowly turned into pain. It feels much more like over training of the muscles.

byegad

Legendary Member
OK. Recumbut usually starts while you're still on the bike and doesn't go away too quickly!:biggrin:

I had the seat on my AZUB-4 too upright as I adapted to laid back cycling. After 100 miles I reclined it and the pain disappeared. After 500 miles I reclined it some more and truly relaxed.

Never heard a trike rider complain of it so I suspect it is the bum muscles (there I said bum!), working too hard to keep balance until the body learns to engage the back and shoulder muscles too.

markg0vbr

Über Member
i started out quite upright on the att then reclined is a bit at a time, if you lower it two far you can loose a bit of speed on the hills.
the att is fantastic climber as well, with the 26" front wheel it is very forgiving steering, i did a lot of very tight figure eights in a car park after only a couple of weeks riding, i could ride up to junctions at less than walking speed and just unclip as i came to a stop.
with a rack on the back and under the seat it makes a good tour bike, some of the Americans put springs in the rear seat supports but with the euromesh seat and foam pad i find it very comfortable with out.i had my trike for two years before i get the att and found i could feel slightly different muscles come in to play.

Top Bottom