Thinking of buying a Grasshopper FX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
I test rode one before I bought a Speedmachine. I didn't get on very well with the Grasshopper as it wasn't recumbent enough for me (i.e. the seat was way too upright) after a few years of riding a WIndcheetah.

Alf

Guru
I have a Grasshopper that is about 5 years old - not a folding version. I find it a very comfortable bike and a really good tourer. It suffers from the problem that all small-wheeled bikes have - you have to make compromises to get a good range of gears. I put a 65 tooth chainring on mine which gives me a top gear of about 109 inches with an 11 sprocket. The 11-23 9 speed cassette works well and I also get a low-enough bottom gear of 32" with a 42 tooth inner ring. The full suspension makes for a very comfortable ride but it is also quite heavy - about 13Kg. I am about to get a new challenge Seiran SL which will be about 10 pounds lighter and I should have an easier job getting the right gears since it has 650 wheels instead of the 406 on the Grasshopper.

The grasshopper has a big range of adjustment on the angle of the seat. I have mine at a fairly low angle (30 deg, think) which I find about the limit without needing a head restraint, but I am sure others vary. That is something you would really need to try to be sure of.

Alf

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

Thanks! I tested one at Bikefix yesterday. Incredibly comfortable! It's a bit heavy but had the huge benefit (for me) of being foldable.

squeaker

Über Member
Gearing

Alf said:
It suffers from the problem that all small-wheeled bikes have - you have to make compromises to get a good range of gears. I put a 65 tooth chainring on mine which gives me a top gear of about 109 inches with an 11 sprocket. The 11-23 9 speed cassette works well and I also get a low-enough bottom gear of 32" with a 42 tooth inner ring. The full suspension makes for a very comfortable ride but it is also quite heavy - about 13Kg.
I also have a (2006) Grasshopper, but it weighs about 17kg with mudguards, rack etc., a very comfortable tourer.
But what's this about gearing? Haven't you guys heard about spinning? I have 152mm cranks on mine with a 36T Rotor ring and Dual Drive giving roughly 17" to 83": good for 22mph at 90rpm (which I can't do on a flat road in neutral conditions), or 31mph on a slight downhill with a tailwind (can do this for a few minutes). At the other end the 18" gets used when I'm tired and the hill is steep: 75rpm = 4mph.
Back on topic: HPV build solid, comfortable bikes, IME, but not the fastest. You pays yer money, ......

squeaker

Über Member
squeaker said:
But what's this about gearing? Haven't you guys heard about spinning? .....
Sorry for abrasive post, Alf. I should have said that 'I admire your legs', as:
1) I need ~22" low gear for most of the hills around here, and less for those like Ditchling Beacon ;)
2) I can't spin out an 83" top gear on the flat :sad:

Hope you enjoy the Seiran :smile:

Alf

Guru
squeaker said:
Sorry for abrasive post, Alf. I should have said that 'I admire your legs', as:
1) I need ~22" low gear for most of the hills around here, and less for those like Ditchling Beacon :sad:
2) I can't spin out an 83" top gear on the flat :biggrin:

Hope you enjoy the Seiran :becool:

Thanks, Squeaker! I certainly didn't read your post as abrasive. Unfortunately my legs are nothing to be admired but I suppose I do like the idea that I can make use of a tailwind or downhill to get a good speed up. Sometimes that happens anyway, of course - I was getting slightly apprehensive at 83kph (51 mph or so - I have my speedo set for kilometres for some reason) down Glen Docherty recently, and I would not have been mad enough to want to keep pedalling at that speed. But on lesser hills, I just like to still be pedalling at 35mph, or at least to have the option.

You are right, the dual drive system is one way of getting the right gears but I would prefer to do it with a standard cassette and chainring set up if possible. If I find my top gear is redundant after all when I get my new bike, perhaps I'll rethink.

I'll have to re-weigh my Grasshopper. I always thought it was about 13Kg. Perhaps that was without mudguards or rack. Will have to check

Alf

Top Bottom