Thinking of getting a fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclegeek

I'm thinking of buying a fixie and was wondering,

how much do you think a old second hand fixie should/would cost?

Weight and looks don't really bother me as I am just looking for a local run around bike.

Bicycle

I imagine there are few secondhand fixies floating around at the moment, as there seems to be a fashion for them.

I hear a new one can cost around £300 from most of the big stores.

Many people do what I did and just make one out of bits.

If you have an old, steel 80s road bike with horizontal drop-outs, you can make a fair fixie for about £100 and some labour.

People will tell you it costs less, but aim for around £100 (maybe more) on top of the cost of the old road bike if you have to buy it.

You junk both mechs, all the gear levers and gear cables... the rear wheel and one of the chain rings.

You buy a rear wheel, a sprocket and maybe get some help from your LBS putting it all together.

Do it; you won't regret it.

OP
OP
cyclegeek

cyclegeek

I imagine there are few secondhand fixies floating around at the moment, as there seems to be a fashion for them.

I hear a new one can cost around £300 from most of the big stores.

Many people do what I did and just make one out of bits.

If you have an old, steel 80s road bike with horizontal drop-outs, you can make a fair fixie for about £100 and some labour.

People will tell you it costs less, but aim for around £100 (maybe more) on top of the cost of the old road bike if you have to buy it.

You junk both mechs, all the gear levers and gear cables... the rear wheel and one of the chain rings.

You buy a rear wheel, a sprocket and maybe get some help from your LBS putting it all together.

Do it; you won't regret it.

I have no knowledge of putting a bike together, making or fixing. So wouldn't trust myself. :sad:

adds21

Rider of bikes
[QUOTE 1488442"]
My house. I bought it on here a couple of months ago, changed a few bits (new Charge Spoon saddle, standard Avid v-brakes, new brake levers, replaced drop bars and new tape) and rode it once. I'm not convinced that it's for me and so am considering selling it on.
[/quote]

This one?

Looks really nice, but probably too big for me.

adds21

Rider of bikes
[QUOTE 1488446"]
That had me reaching for the converter! 5'7ish? Hmm. What's your inside leg?
[/quote]

No idea! :biggrin: I think my bikes are 54cm.

The thing is, I've never riden fixed (and it's hilly round here!), so I can't quite make up my mind if I want to give it a go! I've been keeping my eye on some cheap (and possibly nasty) bikes on eBay, but it would arguably better for me to try and find a frame from somewhere and build my own.

I should probably post something in "wanted" and see if anyone has an old frame they want to get rid of...

adds21

Rider of bikes
[QUOTE 1488448"]
No problem. It'll be here if you're interested. And I'll be in Taunton on Friday...
[/quote]

Luckly, I'll be in Carlisle, otherwise I might not be able to resist! :biggrin:

So, have you decided that you don't get on with fixed, or is it the geometry of the bike you don't get on with?

adds21

Rider of bikes
[QUOTE 1488450"]
It fits fine, I'm just not convinced that my knees are made for fixed. And I need to get a folder.

Carlisle eh? M5 passes Birmingham...
[/quote]

Thankfully I'll have a car full of wife/children, and already a couple of bikes on the back, so I wouldn't be able to fit another one on! (Plus I'm aiming to do a c2c, and I don't think doing that first time on a fixed is a good idea!).

I'm a little worried about my knees to... But I've already found a donor bike (turns out I just needed to ask arond the office), so I guess I'll find out in a week or three (or a month, or a year, or however long it takes me to get around to converting it to fixed!).

Zoiders

Fixed isn't bad for your kness any more than any other drive train is.

It's a myth and I would just get stuck in and not worry about it, just make sure you don't pick a silly gear inch that you can't spin.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
[QUOTE 1488453"]
From the riding I've done up hills in a big gear, my knees would disagree with you.
[/quote]

To be fair thats less an arguement for fixed damaging knee's but one for choosing the right ratio, I'd imagine mashing up a hill in a silly hard gear on a geared bike would be just as bad.

My understanding of knee damage riding fixed was due to resisting the pedals, but I cant talk from experience, I've only been riding fixed for 18 months.

Radius

SHREDDER
OP: Definitely build your own, as said above, no one knew how before they did it really...and I'd budget for around £200 minimum to make something that will be half decent.

OP
OP
cyclegeek

cyclegeek

OP: Definitely build your own, as said above, no one knew how before they did it really...and I'd budget for around £200 minimum to make something that will be half decent.

Cheers, I will look in to the price of frames and parts. I'm sure it prob won't be that hard, no gears to deal with. :blush:

Top Bottom