Thinking Of My Next Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I think Greg feels £300 spent to save 300g is excessive when there's 000s of grams to be saved elsewhere for free.

Unless you have racing ambitions down the line, I think he's right.

OP
OP
Motozulu

Motozulu

Über Member
Yeah - fair point and I doubt that at this stage in my life I have a budding racing career ahead of me.
Not just about the weight though? Rockshox sids over reba's? next level up avid brakes? slightly better groupset?. All in all though - bearing in mind I'm gonna be doing the dog and monkey for 90% of the time and if it means staying the right side of the rules...maybe the alu ht pro is all I'm ever gonna need - the £300? there are always those lumenator lights from Smudge in Lichfield (for the planned night rides next year) and the winter tyres and the pump for the Reba's and...well, you know more than me probably. :rolleyes:

lulubel

Über Member
When I was asking about this, someone one here said SIDs are "as tunable as Rebas now" or something along those lines. From what I can gather, SIDs are racing forks and Rebas have always been known as being the most tunable. So the SIDs are probably not better than Rebas for what you want, but not worse either.

Regarding groupset and brakes, I wouldn't personally pay more for what are bound to be very small performance gains. My old bike had Shimano Alivio and my Cube has SLX with an XT rear mech and the difference in how crisp and smooth they feel is like night and day - although the Alivio did the job, and I had no complaints - but I don't think I'd notice the difference if I replaced the SLX components with XT. What have you got on your Merida at the moment?

OP
OP
Motozulu

Motozulu

Über Member
shimano acera and alivio as opposed to sram x9 gear on the boardman (x9 supposed to be XT equivalent?) tektro draco brakes (which I can't fault tbh) as opposed to avid elixir R. I'm sure you are right btw - I'll feel a massive difference from the boardman to the Merida - but probably very little between the boardman pro and carbon. Thanks for talking sense to me. I was in halfords the other day and just picked up the display alu one - I nearly lifted it over my head - such was the difference in effort that I need to lift the merida.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Avid brakes are fleabay fodder. :wacko: Better off without. :wacko::wacko: Swap asap for SLX or above or live to regret it (like I do):whistle:

VamP covered the clydesdale thing pretty much, I'd only add my weight has sometimes exceeded the level allowed by some manufacturers warranty.:eek: If I want to lose 300g before I ride I visit the men's room.

The Boardman Pro spec is superb for the money. ('cept for that BB30 - yuck) £1000 yet you are at least one step up the range on every component compared with the bike shop alternatives. X9 is excellent stuff, marketed as XT equivalent I'd say it is there or thereabouts.

lulubel

Über Member
I've just googled it, and it looks like it's built into the frame rather than being an addition. Presumably, this limits wear, but makes it difficult/expensive/impossible to replace when it does wear.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Talk to me about the BB30 then Greg? seems to be on a lot of bikes (as do the Avids) is that BB really that bad and if so - why so?
BB30's along with with all manner of external bearing bottom brackets, like the GXP I have on my HT Pro, are the spawn of satan. Bearings made of cheese have no place on an mtb. Poor seals, let's in dirt, dirt kills bearings. Cos I need a lighter stiffer axle on my chainset? Cos otherwise I'll break my square taper axle? Cobblers. Complete and utter.

Ridiculous retro fit technology bolted onto a legacy standard of the bottom bracket shell. imo anyway.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
anyway, what I came in here to say was, get a £1k bike on C2W and spend the £300 on some decent off-road lights, and or knee pads, and or elbow pads, and or mud tyres.

OP
OP
Motozulu

Motozulu

Über Member
Yeah think I'm going to - got pads need more tyres and deffo getting into the night riding - quite enthused about that. Place near me does some great lights (lumenators) for about £115 for the lid and some for the bars too and that'll be next summer sorted.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The Clydesdale reference is to draw the parallel between a thoroughbred and a draft horse. It often applies to MTBers and distinguishes between
clydesdale-picture-3.jpg

and

Whippet%209A002D-01.JPG

VamP

Banned
Clydesdale's are such beautiful horses. I love their enormous hooves.

Is that OT? I think it might be...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Clydesdale reference is to draw the parallel between a thoroughbred and a draft horse. It often applies to MTBers and distinguishes between
clydesdale-picture-3.jpg

and

Whippet%209A002D-01.JPG
iirc the limit for xc racing was you had to weigh at least 220lbs in a pair of trunks. I no longer qualify (for now)

Top Bottom