This weekend...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ohhh..I'm envious of you!

(I wouldn't get far though)

Have a great time...:biggrin:

Just an aside question. How do you know Bikely underestimated it. I always thought Bikely tended to up everything?

OP
OP
G

Greenbank

Über Member
Crackle said:
Just an aside question. How do you know Bikely underestimated it. I always thought Bikely tended to up everything?

This route dates back to the mid 80s and has been analysed by other methods such as contour counting from OS maps (painfully slow, but quite accurate). GPS Tracklogs of various rides have also confirmed it (once you remove the obvious spikes/glitches and smooth out the flutter).

The reason Bikely's estimates are out is because of the elevation data it uses. It's basically a grid of points 30m x 30m covering the UK (the SRTM Digital Elevation Model data). If you want an elevation of a point somewhere between the other points on the grid it interpolates (i.e. guesses) based on the heights of the points around it.

If you plot a route at the bottom of a steep sided valley you'll get some interesting results for example. Or along the side of a cliff road.

In gentle terrain Bikely can be quite accurate. Take it into the hills and you may be off somewhat.

This one: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Audax-Bryan-Chapman-2004-route bikely claims 3900m of climbing. The real figure is 8300m. That's the next ride in 3 weeks' time. Also on fixed. Ho hum.

OP
OP
G

Greenbank

Über Member
Cycle computer went into usual rain ingress mode after about an hour so I'll have to make a guess based on what the GPS says...ok

17:50:59 total time moving for 347km. But this includes to/from stations and hotels etc (which the cycle computer was working for). So, subtracting those:-

347 - 8.71 - 12.17 - 9.43 - 12.17 = 304.52km (about right since the ride is quoted as being 305km)

17:50:59 - 22:17 - 29:01 - 24:27 - 31:20 = 16:03:54

That gives 18.96kph average speed, not bad for a very hilly ride on fixed. I averaged 19.4kph last year with gears.

[EDIT] Ran the tracklog through a few of my scripts which work out when I had stopped. 15:56:20 moving time, so 19.14kph average.

57.3kph max speed. 177rpm. :laugh:

Top Bottom