Threaded forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Macka

Hi,
I have the opportunity of acquiring some carbon forks for free:smile:
Problem is they are threaded at the top.:smile:
My question is, is it possible to fit them to my bike. I am assuming that my back (only two years old) has the non threaded type.
Will it just fit as normal forks or can I get some sort of converter??
Is it worth it??
Cheers
S

MartinC

Über Member
If your frame uses an integrated head set then you won't be able to use the forks (because you won't be able to get a threaded headset that will fit the head tube).

Otherwise (if the fork steerer tube is the right length and the threaded portion is the right length) you should be able to fit a threaded headset. If the threaded part of the steerer tube is too long you'll have to cut it to fit.

You can get adaptors to fit 1" forks in 1 1/8" head tubes if necessary.

You need to check that the rake of the new forks matches the rake of the old ones too - or you'll change the steering geometry.

Whether it's worth it is debateable. The choice of 1" threaded headsets is now small (1 1/8" even smaller). You'll need a quill stem (or a quill to aheadset stem adaptor) too.

OP
OP
M

Macka

MartinC

Über Member
An integrated Headset has races that sit in housings that are machined into the head tube. A non-integrated one has bearing housings that are external. I you can see hardly any of the headset between the fork crown and the head tube then it's probably integrated.

A quill stem is one that has an almost right angled shape and the bottom part slides inside the fork steerer tube and is secured with an internal wedge you tighten from a nut or allen key socket in the top of the stem.

The adaptor you show is right - it allows you to fit an threadless headset stem to a threaded headset.

If your frame has a 1 1/8" head tube I'd suggest that fitting 1" threaded forks will be more trouble than it's worth.

If your head tube is machined for an integrated headset then you won't be able to fit the other adaptors (metal sleeves) that reduce the tube diameter for 1" forks.

Don't forget the threaded part of the steerer tube needs to be the right length too.

OP
OP
M

Macka

Thanks Martin,
Think I'll probably pass on the offer of the forks. Save up a bit and get LBS to fit!
Have learnt a bit though so thanks for that.

Top Bottom