"Threaded" or "Post"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bowthy

Hello,
Anyone tell me how I would find out if my brakes required "threaded" or "post" brake blocks?

Many thanks in advance.

02GF74

Über Member
err, by looking at them would be my first suggestion.

threaded would have a long tapaering bolt wth an allen key recess, here is one yesterday.
shimano-m600-v-brake-blocks-set.jpg

the other type = post mount? do not have a threaded part and they have a different mount - the mount has a hole into whcih the rod goes into and then some clamping mechanism.
brake%20blocks%20-%20stalk.jpg

if still unsure, post picture showing the mount.

gbb

Legendary Member
Usually, V brakes will have threaded brakepads, Cantilevers will have post brakepads.
I'm sure someone will tell me thats not entirely true :sad:, but as a rule...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
gbb said:
Usually, V brakes will have threaded brakepads, Cantilevers will have post brakepads.
I'm sure someone will tell me thats not entirely true :laugh:, but as a rule...

that's not entirely true… mrs alec's bike has v-brakes (cheap ones mind) that have post brakepads…

OP
OP
B

Bowthy

Thanks for the up to date photo, 02GF74, that's cleared things up. I'd tried the "looking" approach before, but the posts appeared to have threads on them. Reading about them was even more confusing as the words "cantilever" and "caliper" became one in my mind, not to mention that V brakes are actually also cantilever brakes.

I'm pretty sure, now, that I've got dual pivot caliper brakes with threaded brakepads.

Thanks for your help.

02GF74

Über Member
^^^ for some reason I assumed it was mountain bike..... but at least it cleared it up for you.

Top Bottom