Threadless Headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Could do with a bit of help.

On the evans site my Specialized Roubaix Comp states my headset is Alloy, 1-1/8 - 1-3/8 inch, with 20mm of spacers.

I have asked a couple of mechanics in bike shops how much to replace they all have encouraged me to just dismantle it in order and either grease or replace the bearings.

Having done the stem spacers and what looked like a locking centre bolt and the top Crane Creek bearing the forks didn't just slide out as I was expecting, so I did a you tube and it looks like I need alsorts of special tools?

Or do I just need to the steerer a gentle tap to knock it out? Then what lol.

This is the only job I have not done before and my steering feels stiff at time and is weeping rust in the rain

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here you go.. check out THIS vid.
It really is very easy to clean and grease an integrated headset.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

Here you go.. check out THIS vid.
It really is very easy to clean and grease an integrated headset.
Pretty sure, well not really sure mine is intergrated or even semi? looks like sealed bearings push fit but as my post exposes I am no expert

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just take top cap off, loosen the stem and remove it, the forks will slide out the bottom (if they don't tease them out or knock them out with a mallet), the bottom bearing may come with it (it is most likely a cartridge bearing with a beveled edge), it may remain inside the headset get the forks out of the way. Then take off the top cap and pick out the components in the top, note the arrangement. Clean, check they run smooth (and inspect fork steerer and the bearing races while it is in bits) and regrease, do the same at the bottom then put them back in the same order and reverse the fork and stem removal. Pre-load the bearings and nip stem up, good to go. 15-20 min job. All you need are 2 allen key's, a rag and a tube of grease.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
That's probably an integrated headset you have there.

I presume you have taken the spacers off. There should be a black cover next - this prises off up the steerer quite easily.

Inside you will then see a silver ring probably with a split in it (called the compression ring). The again prises off but with slightly more effort.

The forks then should drop out quite easily - together with the bottom bearing.

The top bearings simply lift out and that's it.

The bearings will probably be sealed - so gently prise a rubber seal off, re-grease and replace seal.

Putting it back is simple - just remember that the bearings have an inner bevelled edge that mate with the crown race and compression ring and an outer bevelled edge which mate with a ledge in the headtube.

HovR

Über Member
I had this issue a while ago. There was a wedge shaped rubber seal which sealed the gap between the steerer and top most bearing race which was creating a lot of friction preventing the forks from just sliding out. Tapping it with a mallet got it out, although I'm not sure if I'd recommend this if your forks are carbon.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

Top Headset:
SHIS is42 - 1-1/8" Italian Integrated (ISi) Threadless

Bottom Headset:
SHIS iS49/37 - 1-3/8" Integrated (IS)

I have looked this up on the cane creek site, think I will put it back together and re-visit at the weekend, need to ride it tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, probably bump this at the weekend.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ LOCO
The video I linked will work with your bike.
I have a spesh Roubaix Elite with the same bearings as yours.
The sealed bearings come out of the headset the same as in the vid.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

@ LOCO
The video I linked will work with your bike.
I have a spesh Roubaix Elite with the same bearings as yours.
The sealed bearings come out of the headset the same as in the vid.

I did this yesterday and they are 100% borked 10k+ of crud and never been touched. Unsiezed and re-greased but they are popping on use

The problem I am having is finding the bottom one SHIS iS49/37 - 1-3/8" Integrated (IS)

Phoned a few Specilaized dealers and none have the Specilaized part in stock and I would prefer an upgraded one anyway, not found one anywhere using Google.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Top Bottom