Tight calf's cramping advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
Since upping the milage and pushing harder on the bike I have noticed a big increase in muscle tone both in my calf's and thighs.

I religiously stretch before and after my rides especially due to a knee injury years ago.

The issue is even with these stretches my right calf more than my left is really tight and cramps up really easily. I do try to massage the cramp out but it only really helps for a short period.

Not really sure what else to do someone suggested using a roller but do any of you lot have any other suggestions or advice?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hydration.

Broadside

Guru
For me cramps are usually a conditioning issue, keep on riding and eventually as you get fitter it will go.

I am way down on my usual mileage at the moment and as I am ramping back up I am getting cramp. I know hat I just need to do more and then it will go.

With that said you do need to look after muscles that have cramped, massage and foam rollers are great for looking after muscles that need a bit of care.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you stretch? Static or also more dynamic - lunges, squats, raises, step ups? Ensuring proper form if you've had knee issues? Also make sure you work on hip flexors, glutes etc

Also, read around stretching before exercise. The general wisdom seems to be to warm up on the bike by riding gently, as stretching cold muscles can lead to injury

If it's a regular issue, consider seeing a doctor

And avoid those electrode drinks!! Water and electricity don't mix!!!

Last edited:
U

User6179

Are you using cleats ? , I found that if my cleats were forward on my shoes it caused my calves to cramp up as I was cycling on my tip toes .

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always found it to be fitness related and you say yourself you've upped the mileage. Keep going and it will go away as you get fitter.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Thanks everyone for your comments. I went to my physio freind who knows my history of injury very well. After a check over she concluded that most of the pain is in fact the muscle building and due to my injury the right calf is having to compensate which is leading to a more prolonged recovery in that leg.

I have been given a new stretch routine for this leg to help with the cramping which hopefully will help and told to keep up the cycling as my damaged tendon is alot stronger than it was before due to the muscle gain around the knee.

I will also be investing in a foam roller as the one she leant me got rid of the tightness pretty much immediately which was a massive shock.

Top Bottom