Tight leg muscles and cramping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
Ben M said:
Salt isn't harmful, taking in too much compared to the amount of water is, because your body has osmotic problems if you do.
I think the medical consensus is against you there, Ben. It's difficult to take in too much salt if you have a varied diet with very little processed food and don't add salt to your food or drinks; but it is very easy to have too much if you eat a lot of tinned food, processed meat, biscuits, crisps etc. There is lots of evidence that long term salt intake above say 6gm a day leads to a greater risk of high blood pressure and strokes in middle age.

mr Mag00

rising member
I suffered from terrible calf cramps in both calfs, last night whilst swimming, fortunately i was able to swim to the side. I have never had such painful cramps, exacerbated by running and cycling yesterday, i know i know.

I was reading up whilst trying to recover last. the books say avoid salt, try to consume much more fruit esp bananas. my calfs are still v v sore this morning.
should i continue with 'rice' interspersed with some massage as i really want to ride tomorrow and the rest of the week as the weather is on the improve again. i have done some v v gentle stretching this a.m

i am drinking loads of water today, running bewtween the loo and work so far today :tongue:

i know there arent really any short cuts but is there a slightly quicker route?

lukesdad

Ive suffered far more cramp when swimming than I do when cycling, not sure why this is. In competetive swimming it is quite widespread so I dont think its all about salt and diet as theyre usually watched quite closely.

GrasB

Veteran
I find that cramps come down to pushing your self to hard &/or not staying properly hydrated. Keeping some proper hydration drink or getting clear water & mixing your own rehydration tablets in will help. However this needs to be done pre-emptively. Short period cramping, when you can ride if off within 10 seconds or so by simply slowing down a little & catching your breath is a sign that you're really pushing to hard & need to back off before you get into serious cramping & post exercise soreness.

Crankarm

Guru
Bananas, proper hydration amd massage. Don't stretch a muscle that has cramped....ouch. Be gentle with it. A nice massage becoming firmer then again and again. Cramping is also a sign of trying to do too much too soon or exceeding your physical capabilities. Train gently and frequently, gradually building up stamina and power.

Too much salt hardens the arteries leaving the heart meaning they lose their elasticity leading to high blood pressure. Also high salt levels, sodium, play havoc with the heart's electrical impulses. Repeated exposure to high a high amount of sodium and hardening arteries will give one a heart attack.

A well balanced diet and common sense to take in enough energy before a long ride or run, remaining hydrated is what is needed.

Bill Gates

There is a distinction between cramp and muscle soreness. I don't suffer from cramp but do get sore calfs and thighs from training. Some athletes go for ice cold baths after training but for me the jury is out. I've found the best solution for me is gentle stretching after the ride.

Stand facing the stairs and lift one leg and place your foot on the step at waist level so that it rests against the vertical side of the step above. The leg shouldn't be locked out straight but very slightly bent. Then lean forward until you feel some tightness down the back of the leg and hold for a count of 30. After a few weeks you'll be able to get your forehead touching your knees.

Then massage your legs starting with the calf muscles working up to your hamstrings and lastly your thighs. Ensure that you use the flat of your hands and work towards your heart, i.e. away from your feet and upwards. Helps with recovery too.

Top Bottom