Time to change the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Many posts on here with my Jamis Framed superbike, but last week we rode from Southport to Wath , 112 miles on the TPT mostly off road.
On a few occasions we had heart in mouth moments with our drop bar bikes , despite the 35 x 700c wheels ...
So one bike was sold (Not the Jamis !! Never), and a new purchase has entered the fold ....
Off for a ride in the morning to decide whether it will be MTB platform pedals and trainers or .... clipping in SPD’s ....
This is the newbie .... my first MTB;

Marlin6_22_35066_D_Primary.jpeg

andy63

Regular
I have had a trek pro cal 9.7 for over two years.. in that time I've started doing a bit of touring come bikepacking..
The main issue was the carbon frame and the need to be carrying a fair bit weight.. I'm usually totally self sufficient ..so tent ..sleeping bag ..cooking gear and food and fluids are all carried in panniers and frame and fork mounted bags..

The pannier rack and back axel were all modified to allow most of the weight of the panniers to be carried on the axel rather than frame..
Hope you enjoy your new bike..
Andy..
20220702_071357.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Many posts on here with my Jamis Framed superbike, but last week we rode from Southport to Wath , 112 miles on the TPT mostly off road.
On a few occasions we had heart in mouth moments with our drop bar bikes , despite the 35 x 700c wheels ...
So one bike was sold (Not the Jamis !! Never), and a new purchase has entered the fold ....
Off for a ride in the morning to decide whether it will be MTB platform pedals and trainers or .... clipping in SPD’s ....
This is the newbie .... my first MTB;

View attachment 652899

Welcome to the dark side. Road and MTB is great fun.

cwskas

Über Member
I have had a trek pro cal 9.7 for over two years.. in that time I've started doing a bit of touring come bikepacking..
The main issue was the carbon frame and the need to be carrying a fair bit weight.. I'm usually totally self sufficient ..so tent ..sleeping bag ..cooking gear and food and fluids are all carried in panniers and frame and fork mounted bags..

The pannier rack and back axel were all modified to allow most of the weight of the panniers to be carried on the axel rather than frame..
Hope you enjoy your new bike..
Andy..

Nice setup. Can you elaborate on your gear, especially the bags and attachment methods. Closeup photos, brand & model & maybe links. I just like to see what folks are using.

andy63

Regular
Nice setup. Can you elaborate on your gear, especially the bags and attachment methods. Closeup photos, brand & model & maybe links. I just like to see what folks are using.

Ill see if I can explain what I've done but the bike is back in normal hardtail mode now I'm back from my trips ..
The handlebar bag is straight fwd and just straps to the bars..
The fork and frame mount bags are carried in plastic cages that are available from topeka.. if you Google topeka versacage.. they are designed to fit the bottle cage mounts provided on most bikes but if you want to say fork mount them they come with fixings or mounting points that are easily fitted to the bike...and I leave my mounting points permanently attached to the bike forks..just removing the cages..
See attached photos..
20220717_095136.jpg

20220717_094948.jpg

20220717_094956.jpg

The rear pannier bags are carried on a bike rack that I bought but pretty well extensively modified to suit my bike which is carbon framed and as supplied would not have been capable of carrying the load that I carry without damage to the bike
The rack has a seat post clamp which I didnt do away with but it's only real purpose after my modification is to locate the rack on the bike.. the clamp is never tight..in fact I still have a few inches of movement in the dropper seat post if I need it..
The weight or load is transfared to the frame of the bike by my fabricated bracket..
See photos..
20220717_095306.jpg

And transfares the load to here
20220717_101407.jpg

The rack came with two adjustable poles and mountings ..I retained them but they had to be lined with rubber to prevent damage to the frame..
I leave the attachment points fitted to the bike when I remove the rack and bags
Because of the load I carry I also provided two more poles that transfare the weight to a modified back axle..
A final precaution I take is I cable tie the bags to the rack.. they have a fixing that is supposed to prevent the bags from swinging away from the rack..but I found on bumpy bits they still managed to disengage...so I just cable tied them to the poles.. you should see that in the attached photos..
20220717_095426.jpg

20220717_095359.jpg

20220717_095323.jpg

I hope you can grasp all that lol
Cheers
Andy

cwskas

Über Member
The fork and frame mount bags are carried in plastic cages that are available from topeka.. if you Google topeka versacage.
The rear pannier bags are carried on a bike rack that I bought but pretty well extensively modified to suit my bike
The weight or load is transfared to the frame of the bike by my fabricated bracket..
See photos..

I hope you can grasp all that lol

Thank you for the details, well done!

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
So here it is ... The New Touring Bicycle ......collected and already modded ... slightly .... SPD pedals, HOPE seat clamp, TREK rack and Altura pannier ... Couple of day rides out next week before we de-camp to Redruth for a fortnight when we will be riding all the track and trails in the area .....

OGqM0qx6QyyNOLQRjJkYNw.jpg

Top Bottom