Timely reminder to check your seatpost for corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Despite all the hot weather we have been having, well some of us maybe, do not forget to check your seatpost has not seized in the frame through corrosion. As a rule I check mine monthly, but I have got slack this past 3 months and today I found that my seatpost on one of my road bikes had seized. Fortunatley it was not too bad, just a lot of penetrating oil and it soon freed up along with about half an hour of twisting to free it from the frame, a quick grease up and its right as rain now.

A quick check now will prevent a nightmare job yourself or a trip to the LBS in the future with more costs.

Grasen

Despite all the hot weather we have been having, well some of us maybe, do not forget to check your seatpost has not seized in the frame through corrosion. As a rule I check mine monthly, but I have got slack this past 3 months and today I found that my seatpost on one of my road bikes had seized. Fortunatley it was not too bad, just a lot of penetrating oil and it soon freed up along with about half an hour of twisting to free it from the frame, a quick grease up and its right as rain now.

A quick check now will prevent a nightmare job yourself or a trip to the LBS in the future with more costs.

How do you get a seat post to seize inside a frame?
I never have.

ASC1951

Guru
do not forget to check your seatpost has not seized in the frame
Now why didn't you post this a year ago, when I needed it? Now my shoes have worn out but I can't get a new pair without raising my saddle.

Ah, and the seatpost on the fixie is stuck too. Buggrit.

bauldbairn

How do you get a seat post to seize inside a frame?
I never have.

I believe it happens with steel frames and alloy(aluminium) posts or steel posts and alloy frames. The steel rusts and the alloy moulds(corrodes) causing them to bond together. Just different aluminium types could cause this process also. It is really common with steel bolts into aluminium castings too!!
Steel onto steel will also bond - but not so ferociously(no pun intended).

I've never had it happen to me - but I copperslip(PBC - Poly Butyl Cuprysil) everything.

Grasen

And while I'm at it - there are other things I don't understand: jamming a chain between chain stay and chain set ???, chipping paint on right side of down tube about 3-4 cm from head tube??

obviously I'm not a very good cyclist
wacko.gif

OP
OP
zacklaws

zacklaws

Guru
I believe it happens with steel frames and alloy(aluminium) posts or steel posts and alloy frames. The steel rusts and the alloy moulds(corrodes) causing them to bond together. Just different aluminium types could cause this process also. It is really common with steel bolts into aluminium castings too!!
Steel onto steel will also bond - but not so ferociously(no pun intended).

It also happens with carbon seat posts too in a carbon frame, but it is a metal insert in the frame into which the seatpost fits. I know its happened on both my bikes now.

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
its easily done if you don't need to change your saddle or post for a while

jimboalee

Just use grease or coppaslip................. never really check mine - might have a look next year ! :whistle:

With saddle clamped onto seatpost, push nose of saddle up between your legs, so seatpost sticks out in front of you. Apply grease to right hand thumb and forefinger and massage it up and down the seatpost.

Well, I'm sure that's what the guy at Halfords was doing.

I walked out because it was obvious they didn't have any long series seatposts.

Top Bottom