Tingling left heel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

It's something I get from time to time, no idea why. It can set in for a couple of weeks, or just a few days. Most of the time, I don't really notice it because I'm standing but if I sit or lay down then I can feel it. Annoyingly irritating rather than painful but it does make sleeping difficult.

Is it cycling related do you reckon? Last time I went to the docs for it he just examined my foot and ankle, asked some questions and said "don't know"!

Blue

Legendary Member
Isn't tingling usually caused by compressing a nerve of cutting circulation? Are you putting pressure on the back of your knee or something when you notice it? Is the sensation relieved by moving your leg etc?

I know duck all about medicine, but I'm reminded of the old Tommy Cooper joke - if it hurts to do something, stop doing it.

Sorry I can't be of constructive help.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Another night of interrupted sleep.

I was wondering if it's a nerve compression, but maybe in the ankle. Maybe cycling is causing some minor inflammation and pressing the nerve??? No sign of any swelling though, so I guess not.

The wife's brother is a physio and he was a bit baffled too. He couldn't understand why it'd only be the heel and not the entire foot.

Maybe it's just one of those things one has to accept as one gets older!

Typo

yello said:
Is it cycling related do you reckon? Last time I went to the docs for it he just examined my foot and ankle, asked some questions and said "don't know"!
Sounds like we've got the same doctor. :thumbsup: My heels started tingling round about the same time I started cycling again - mine only do it for a few minutes though, & only when I get out of bed first thing in the morning.

Hmmm...the only time I suffered from a tingling heel I was diagnosed as having an inflamed achilles tendon. After weeks of creams and potions and threats of a cast, I went to see a different doctor who advised to either wear high heels (which wasn't going to happen) or a heel pad in my normal shoes. Problem solved with a few days - not sure if it's the same thing you have, but might be worth a try?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Cheers pp, I reckon that's worth a shot... I've always fancied wearing high heels! :smile:

I'm in the land of surgical appliances so I reckon a heel pad will be dead simple to find.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I think you've hit upon it pp.

I did a few stretches yesterday and noticed the left achilles area was a bit tight whereas the right was fine. So I had a bit of a feel and the achilles tendon area on my left leg felt noticeably puffier than the right. Looking closely, it looks a little swollen too - I didn't notice it before.

So I've been taking an anti-inflammatory and hopefully that'll help. I'll get some heel pads later today and see if that stops me aggravating it. I've already been a nearly week off the bike and I need to get some miles in soon!

Longer term, it seems I must be periodically setting off the inflammation somehow. Andy Pruitt's book tells me that moving cleats back has been shown to help so maybe I'll try that. Odd that I don't notice any discomfort on the bike though.

Kmarshall

diabetes?

what! look im not sure about this my father has had that problems..
spr.gif
and tingling sensations that is felt around either leg might be a symptom of diabetes.. although keep in mind that other diseases have the same symptoms..

OP
OP
Y

yello

Kmarshall said:
tingling sensations that is felt around either leg might be a symptom of diabetes..

Thanks for the info (and welcome btw!). I was aware of that and have been checked and given the all clear on diabetes just 6 weeks ago.

I've had another blood and urine test this morning (you need a medical certificate to ride in sportives here in France) but I expect them to come back all clean. But that's what they all say!

Top Bottom