Tips for New Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
My top tip would be to keep both hands on the bars and concentrate on the conditions when your out on the road. :okay:

Sharky

Guru
I think you need to rethink your target audience. Your image is that of a seasoned club rider on a 2hr+ jaunt through pleasant countryside.
Most new cyclists are going to be under 10, learning for the first time or born again cyclists wanting to ride to work or school or the local shops and usually in built up areas and have forgotten the basic steps.

But good to see somebody promoting cycling - keep it up.

whitesix

Regular
Agree with Sharky; I'm just starting out (5 days in) my basic five tips (I think to myself, as an older person) would be:

1. Realise that it's initially going to hurt; but hopefully you will get through it.
2. Don't be too hard on yourself; it's not going to be easy (unlike walking or swimming, as comparative exercises).
3. Think small: initially do small distances and short duration's.
4. Cycle regularly (ie five days a week; but remembering tip 3).
5. Try to remember that eventually you will come to actually enjoy it (but it will take time and you need to get through all of the initial hardships).

And before all of the above; get a bike (and preferably a helmet); doesn't initially have to be a good one; initially you are just trying to get your legs, heart and lungs going; a good bike can come later when you have decided what type of cycling takes your fancy. Same with clothing; clothing does help, but initially just get your heart, legs and lungs going; then get a good pair of shorts!

So there you go; some tips for a beginner from a complete beginner; shoot me down in flames; any criticisms and thoughts would be most welcome

boydj

Legendary Member
Great post from the 'Big W' above. Start small and easy and learn to enjoy it. Lots of folks jump in at the deep end, full of enthusiasm and pushing hard and then end up putting themselves off. The great thing about cycling, compared to jogging for instance, is that you can spend increasing amounts of time on a bike without pushing your physical limits, and do it every day if you want.

Top Bottom