Tips On How To "Center" The Front Wheel!!!???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

ive re-adjusted my headset and now my wheel is all squiffy!!!

its not a great deal, but when the stem is inline with the frame, the front wheel is slightly off center!

and no matter what i try i cant get it bob on. any tips on how to do it!!??

cheers

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Off-centre as in the wheel is not pointing directly forward? Try re-aligning the stem and fork (wheel).
Off-centre as in the wheel is pointing directly forward, but not in the same line as the frame and fork? Try re-aligning the wheel in the fork dropouts.

OP
OP
S

steve23

its only fractionally out, just dont know how to get it perfect.

when the stem is in line with the frame, the wheel is slightly off centre, instead of straight in line.

Will1985

Über Member
I stand over the bike - sit on the crossbar - and firmly grip the wheel between my knees so it should be aligned with the frame. Then looking down at the stem, adjust it until it looks in line with the centre of the tyre and then tighten the headset bolt.
If you then don't totally tighten off the bolt, you can usually adjust the alignment a bit more until you are satisfied.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Why oh why don't they put a centre line on fork steerer that can be lined up with a corresponding mark on the stem? Ditto seatposts and frames.

No matter how perfect you think you've got it in the garage you more often than not have to faff about again 500 yards down the road.

I sight the back/front of the handlebars with the back/front of the front wheel spindle/hub, that way you don't need to line the wheel up with the frame.

dodgy

Smokin Joe said:
Why oh why don't they put a centre line on fork steerer that can be lined up with a corresponding mark on the stem? Ditto seatposts and frames.

No matter how perfect you think you've got it in the garage you more often than not have to faff about again 500 yards down the road.

That's a very good point, I'd never considered that, especially the seatpost one. Nothing stopping us from doing it ourselves though.

kyuss

Veteran
Smokin Joe said:

Good idea but difficult to implement I'd imagine. Most people need the forks cut down and a mark on the outside of the steerer would be hidden by the stem when fitted, so the mark would need to run down the inside of the steerer itself like a stick of rock.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
kyuss said:
Good idea but difficult to implement I'd imagine. Most people need the forks cut down and a mark on the outside of the steerer would be hidden by the stem when fitted, so the mark would need to run down the inside of the steerer itself like a stick of rock.
Point taken, but if the mark ran up the back of the steerer at least you could centre it with the slot on the stem.

MartinC

Über Member
Stand in front of the bike facing it. Loosen the stem bolts slightly so that it just moves on the steere. Put the front wheel between your feet. Look down from over the top of the bars and use the front axle as a datum i.e. visually line up the front edge of the bars with the line made by front edge of the dropouts. When they line up the bars are straight. Tighten them up.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
MartinC said:
Stand in front of the bike facing it. Loosen the stem bolts slightly so that it just moves on the steere. Put the front wheel between your feet. Look down from over the top of the bars and use the front axle as a datum i.e. visually line up the front edge of the bars with the line made by front edge of the dropouts. When they line up the bars are straight. Tighten them up.
Then get 500 yards down the road and find the f*cking thing is pointing a couple of mm off straight :biggrin:

MartinC

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
Then get 500 yards down the road and find the f*cking thing is pointing a couple of mm off straight ;)

Ah, but then you must've missed out either the lining up step or the tightening up step. :ohmy:

Begs the question of how you make the judgement at 500 yards. If you use the same criteria when adjusting them it should work. If, for instance, when you ride the centre of the stem front doesn't line up exactly over the centre of the tyre tread then sit on the bike and adjust them using this as a reference.

Top Bottom