Tips please :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

£Josh D

hey, on friday me and a friend are riding 8.75 miles as a training run as i am training to do a charity cycle. 2 questions: i can do 12.5miles on my exercise bike, is 8.75 miles going to be incredibly hard because i no that wind and uphill roads (although there isnt any drastic uphills on our route) does shorten the distance? and the 2nd question is, do you have any tips on how to make the ride less draining, my mate suggested doing that thing were one goes infront to block the wind from the other, but we gunna be doing 15mph is that really going to make a difference? any other tips? thanks, Josh :becool:

potsy

Rambler
If you're even averagely fit Josh then 8ish miles will be no problem at all,you'll probably enjoy it so much you'll want to do more.

darkstar

Hey Josh, first of all don't worry about speed, just go out there and enjoy it, thats the main thing. Second, don't worry about aerodynamics, thats getting quite serious! For an 8 mile ride your riding position won't make much difference in terms of energy, only speed. Have fun!

jimboalee

There is an old cycling saying which goes "the first ten miles are the worst".

8.75 ( round it up to nine ) miles will not be long enough to get properly warmed up, so don't go hammer and tongues.

Drafting is fun. Share the lead by gyrating around, taking 30 seconds lead at a time. The lead rider should move toward the curb, and slow to allow the following rider to ride up the outside onto the front.
Get on a wide road to do this.

On a wide road with little other traffic, the direction of rotation can be the other way if the wind is coming across from the left.

shippers

If you're doing 15mph, and going 8 miles you'll only be out for 40 minutes.
Cycling is strange- if you've done any running you'll know that building up mileage is a slow and painful process. You'll be cycling 20 miles by the end of the month!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
If you're concerned about the wind, start by heading into it. You'll then have the wind behind you on the way back.

OP
OP
£

£Josh D

will it be possible if i can do 12.5miles on the exercise each night, to be able to do 54 miles in 2 months but i do have 2 weeks of exams about a month before it, or should i just go in for the 30 mile one? ofc i will be increasing 12.5miles over time :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Is there a reason you can't get out on the actual bike each day, instead of the exercise bike? You'll enjoy real riding much more, and up the distances much more quickly, I would think.

If you can do 12, without collapsing and hurting all over, then 20 is pretty much within your grasp. After 20, up to 30 is not much. I'd say you should (assuming average fitness etc) be quite able to do the 54, as long as you ride regularly.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
As a challenge, ride 8 or so miles into the wind (you know you can go that far because you've done more on the exercise bike) then turn around and let the wind push you home. That will be 16 miles.

redjedi

Über Member
Hi Josh

How long is your charity ride and is it timed?

12.5 miles on the road should be easier than on an exercise bike. There are more things to distract you and concentrate on.

I also wouldn't worry about speed just yet, just get the miles under your belt, so take it easy.

I'd suggest going out for a ride without worrying too much about distance. Plan a rough route which is about 10 miles to start with but have the option of extending it. If after an hour you're still full of energy and enjoying yourselves, extend your ride.

Drafting can make a difference if it's really windy, but make sure you both take turns at the front.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
£Josh D said:
will it be possible if i can do 12.5miles on the exercise each night, to be able to do 54 miles in 2 months but i do have 2 weeks of exams about a month before it, or should i just go in for the 30 mile one? ofc i will be increasing 12.5miles over time :biggrin:

Exams are a bit of an ar*e when it comes to stamina - physical, drinking, etc. However one thing about exams is that you spend a lot of time sitting at a desk, thinking hard, but not doing much. When it comes to bed time you are mentally exhausted, but physically still bouncing. Your brain doesn't stop whirring, you can't get to sleep, and you lie in bed tossing and turning. The next morning you have problems getting up, feel tired all day, and the pattern repeats itself.

The best way out of this is getting some physical exercise that doesn't get in the way of revision/studies. Try a 30 min ride, e.g. just before going to bed, or just before supper. Or mid way through revision and before a quick late bite. Even a 10 minute ride is good, as it gives your brain just about the right amount of time to process the information that you have just read.

If you are young, fit and in good shape, 54 miles with 2 months training should be easy.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
54 mile charity ride, in a few months... sounds like london to bright. yes?

I did that a few years ago, having not ridden any more than 10 miles at a time. it's not too hard due to traffic and having to walk.

jimboalee

Concentrate on the exams. They are more important than a bike ride.

Get ALL the exams out of the way ( that includes your Doctorate ), get a well paid job, retire early, buy a bike you only dreamed about yesterday and go riding.

Your accumulated wealth will pay for hotels rather than B&Bs, so you'll have a more enjoyable future than if you went bike riding and flunked your exams.

Top Bottom