Tire replacement question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porknz

So I brought my bike in for a spring tune-up last weekend. Got a call this weekend that the tire I need to replace it is out of stock. I started researching online as I'm new to biking. Bike is a Salsa Journeyman Sora with 650b tires.

1. I ride almost completely on road, but unused country roads mostly. I don't want a full on gravel tire with big knobs, but I don't want a slick either. Any suggestions for almost all road riding while maintaining the ability to hop on a gravel road now and then?

2. As I am looking, I am also thinking, I have all of the tools to repair a flat in an emergency, but being new to cycling, I've never repaired a flat before, and am always worried about when I have to twenty miles from home by myself. Does this feel like a no brainer opportunity to do my first repair at home, with all the time that I need and to learn???

This is what is on there now. https://teravail.com/products/sparwood-tire#/

As 650b or 27.5” is the new trend at the moment, stocks are a little low. As it’s a disc brake bike and I assume built to also Accomodate 700c tyres you could get a set of 700c wheels and then fit a set of 700x32c or 700x35c tyres, best of both worlds then.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm pretty bad at it but I get there in the end. Here's my only tip: put all three tyre levers under the bead before levering the other ends onto spokes. It gives you more room to get them under the bead.

OP
OP
P

Porknz

Thanks for the info on the 650b trend. I guess there is a supply issue with just about everything in the world right now. :smile: Definitely want to stick with the 650b's. I've never ridden on 700's.

WTB and Hutchinson do 650b tyres, if your after a semi slick don’t fall foul of 650c tyres which are not the same size as 650b tyres.

OP
OP
P

Porknz

I will google 650c. I've never heard of that. Thanks for the info on WTB (which seems to be what is on the same bike when I look it up on Salsa's site right now) and Hutchinson. I don't know anything about tire reputations, and I keep finding brands that I purchase for my car as well, which I guess makes sense, but is weird.

OP
OP
P

Porknz

Anyone have thoughts on whether this is a no brainer chance to try fixing a flat for the first time, or do I just have the LBS do it?

Do this yourself. It is an essential skill for any cyclist who rides further than a mile or so from home.
650B had a niche revival with slick touring tyres. They were adopted by MTBers with lots of knobbly options. You can get std commuter tyres such as Shwalbe Marathon but not on many bike shop shelves. Marathons are good on mixed surfaces but not heavy mud.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Regards tyre choice buy one that has good puncture protection. I don't know if Schwalbe Marathons ( good combination of puncture protection and value) come in 650 but they have a wide variety of models which would suit.
Try NOT to use the levers putting the tyres on as you might pinch the tube, making another puncture. YouTube is your friend here.
Good luck.

Ajax Bay

Guru
tire I need to replace . . is . . . 650b .
ride almost completely on road, but unused country roads mostly. I don't want a full on gravel tire with big knobs, but I don't want a slick either.
Think you have 650b x 2.1" tyres (54-584). For your described main use you could go a lot narrower, but doing so would look odd if you didn't get a pair.
The ETRTO dimension you'll see for your tyres is 584 (eg 37-584) - the other figure is the width of the tyre in mm.
All you want to know about 650b: https://sheldonbrown.com/650b.html
On being prepared for a puncture, get some tyre levers (and a spare tube and small pump) (which you'll be wanting to carry at all times outside of town). Indoors, take the front wheel off, deflate and take the tyre off. Then put it on again, and reflate. You will then know you can do it.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Definitely use this as an opportunity to learn how to fix a puncture!
Get yourself a spare tube and practice getting the tyre on and off and tubes swapped over. Most of us carry a spare tube so that's one good way of dealing with a puncture, and always the quickest. So long as you don't mind carrying a tube.

You may also want to have a play with a repair/ patching kit to repair a hole, this is a handy skill to have, especially if the puncture fairy visits you twice in one ride. It's rare but it can happen. I carry a spare tube plus a glueless patch kit as do many.

Crack a few beers, have everything to hand, watch these two videos and follow along.

View: https://youtu.be/58STtUM-Wow

View: https://youtu.be/T0F_hibWHlU

OP
OP
P

Porknz

Awesome advice. I started carrying C02, the valve, two spares, and the levers when I did my first event last year. There was sag support, but I figured I'd be alone most of the race, and 101 miles left lots of opportunities for a flat. :smile: Now I just ride with both packs and that gear along with food too. Thanks for the videos as well. I live just down the road from Park Tool, so kind of fun to see their work and buy their materials. Thanks for the link on 650b's too. I need to know a bit more about them before picking out a replacement tire.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom