Tiverton to Lands End

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

I'm just planning the end of my JOGLE and am struggling for a decent route from Tiverton to Lands End. I don't know the area at all.

It will be mid week in late May, so no school holidays. I want to avoid any major roads, not worried about how hilly it is and would like to enjoy the last bit on some decent and not too busy country roads.

I'm not stopping sight seeing, I just want to get it done and have about a day and a half for this bit of the journey.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

theloafer

Legendary Member
hey wyno70 try ctc forum and see MICK F he is the cornish expert

Rob S

Tiverton towards Exeter on the A396, at the crossroads at Rudway Barton (by a pub) take the C road to Thorverton, and continue on the lanes to Creedy Bridge at Crediton....then head for Okehampton. Straight foward way is A377 to Copplestone then A3072 through Bow, the road then turns in to the B3215 to Okehampton, there's a bit of a drag up Appledore Hill. Then take the B3260 to Sourton Cross, under the A30 road bridge and turn right on to the West Devon Drive (which is the old A30 and a wonderful ride in this direction) to Launceston. Then I'd head for the Atlantic Coast route which 'starts' at Camelford by using the A395 or the lane route which skirts Bodmin Moor...I'd avoid the A30 myself.

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks Rob, I'm definately avoiding the A30 so your route sounds good, I'll have a look at it, sounds good. Much appreciated.

Rob S

User76 said:
After Tiverton, it'll be quicker to Crediton to turn right by the Fishermans Rest (or Anglers Rest or similar), about 2 miles past the recycling centre, and take the A3072 to Crediton, it's very sceninc:evil:

That's one way to put it!!:biggrin: The pub is at 46m at the junction at the bottom of the pic, you get to see the surrounding countryside from a height of 232m at the red dot.:biggrin:

Ivan Ardon

That first mile past the Fisherman's Cott, up past Bickleigh Castle is a knee popper. It's a pretty ride though and getting off the A396 down the Exe Valley can only be a good thing. There are a lot of blind corners for drivers to come around at 60 MPH not expecting a cyclist to be there between Bickleigh and Thorverton.

Well it's all hideous. I'll dig out my LEJOG route which went through Tiverton. We did a backroads ride through cornwall which was roughly parallel with the A30. It was a swine to navigate, and had killer gradients - all in all it really annoyed us. If you have tracklogs i can send it to you.

Top Bottom