To Bib or not to Bib...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
We have more in common with the Triathlete than the cyclist

How dare you...... That is fighting talk!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Personal opinion is that the difference between a well fitting pad (will vary rider to rider like saddles do to some degree) and no pad is worlds apart. I often do utility miles in "normal" clothes and cope fine, as in I am not uncomfortable, but pull on a pair of high quality and well fitting bib shorts and the degree of comfort is godly in comparison.

also bear in mind the quality of the pad, I have some decthlon padded and they're ok, but I aso have some Lousi Gaerne and they are awesome - anatomically built as opposed to just a flat pad, and supremely comfortable

they were however awesomely expensive

[off topic]but not as expensive as the £350 top I saw in the pinarello shop on saturday!![/off topic]

How expensive is awesomelly expensive? I haven't taken much notice of LG short's but LG kit is usually pretty reasonable price wise no?

Reactions: gaz

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Out on the road bike I wear bibs with a pad. All pads are not equal though. Some are a total waste of time, but a decent pad can make a long ride a whole lot more comfortable.

gavintc

Guru
You seem to be unconvinced about padded cycle bibs/shorts. It is completely your choice, but as Hacienda has stated, not all pads are equal. Personally, reasonable quality bibs have been excellent for me.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
There are a number of variables. If you ride a mountain bike and have a nice wide seat riding 2 miles to work then no, you don't need padding. If you ride a road bike with a razor thin seat, and do 15 miles to work, then I'd say padding is pretty essential. There's also the weight of the rider. The heavier you are the more benefit to be had from padding. I bought all my bike gear in my road bike days so it's all padded. Now of course I ride 'bents, and I don't need the padding as it's like I'm sat in a comfy chair when riding to work........but I suppose my 'jewels' are kept nice and warm by the padding.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
I read somewhere a few years ago that in the early days of the Tour de France the cyclists would pad their shorts with a piece of steak. At the hotel in the evening they would pass the tenderised piece of meat to the chef to cook for their evening meal.

I'm not suggesting this as a recipe, but someone might like to try it just to see how it compares for comfort. Other meats might be suitable too, but I wouldn't recommend a Barnsley chop.

Top Bottom