To commute or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark i

I think that the distance is slightly long, but you may be able to build up to it. I do 6 miles on the way in (train assisted) and then do 15 miles on the way home (not train assisted). Generally that is fine. It is a pain when I have a cold etc (mainly winter). It was also not great in the snow and ice this year and I also used the train both ways then. I guess if you have a car then you have an alternative, we went to one car and I don't have it as an option for a couple of days a week.

CycleFun30

I think that is a bit too long... But it all depends on your capacity and willpower, I guess... :rolleyes:
I do 12+12 miles every Sat and Sun, in summer 5 days a week because I work more during the school holidays,
but that is fairly enough for me as a tolerably fit female cyclist. :biggrin:

Crankarm

Guru
It's not so much being able to ride the distance but the hazardous route. 25 miles cycling from Kent into Greater London then across to West London, I wouldn't do it. Too much hassle and risk of being knocked down. Fine if a rural area. But would you really want to ride it regularly?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good call on the South Circular Lee. It's not that bad south of the river. He can hit Bomley Hill then on to the SC. Done it a few times.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Pretty sure JonnyJeez commutes kent -> london; not sure which part though. Worth a PM in case he doesn't spot this thread?
http://www.cyclechat...828-jonny-jeez/

Spotted it.

From Memory the riders who undertake this length of commute are

Myself 40 miles
Hobbes Choice 38 miles
Bent Mikey 44 miles
Absintheminded 40miles
U9rge (54 miles …on a fixed)
Kevin Cambs 34 miles ( who’s ride is a little shorter but is every single day)
Ianrauk, I think about 36 miles (kent to City)

I commute from Chislehurst in Kent to The BBC building at Shepherds Bush. its just a tad under 20 miles each way (19.6 or something) and takes me along the A21 which becomes the old Kent road (through the parks) or sometimes the Vauxhall bridge/embankement route.

My home location is not in deepest Kent (Ie inside the M25) and as such it is probably a little easier a route for you for the following reasons.

I find the hardest part of the ride to be the "rural" or suburban section (mainly the last 10 miles home) as, in these locations I become the slowest thing on the road and am overtaken at great speed as the roads open up. I also lack the company of other riders...not to chat to but to kind of set a pace or even highlight the fact that we are on the road to other road users.

In the dark and the cold, these last 10 miles are a real grind to me.

However in the summer its much more enjoyable.

I break the week up with a ride every day or so, punctuated with a day on the motorbike, train or even in the car. This is great as it take the monotony out of the week but it comes with its own challenge, chiefly that I often find it hard to get on the bike when the motorbike is sitting right next to it in the garage!

I've spoke at length to a some of the members mentioned above and we share the same verdict that sometimes a 20-25 (40-50 round) mile commute over the same bit or road, with the same drain covers, same paint, same traffic lights and most often the same commuters... just gets a little "dull" after a while and that is the biggest drain on my motivation to ride.

So perhaps your idea of only doing a few days a week is best.

I also find the practicality to be a issue, the busier I am at work the harder it is to undertake a ride as i often need to meet in the city (with clients) at 8-8.30 and so cant really justify riding across to shepherds bush, just to shower, change and then catch a tube all the way back out to the city ( that I can get to in 20 mins on the train from my house)

PS you sound a lot fitter than me and also a lot more capable of a long ride so I am sure the distance alone will not present any issues. Oh and 20 miles for me takes around an hour (coming in (a lot of downhill) up to an hour and 20 (going home up all those hills)

All that sounds a little negative so let me tell you that on the plus side, by the time I reach the 10 mile marker on my inbound journey , i am really sailing!

At that point I have a great pace and am the fastest thing on the road (at least thats how I feel) and the sensation of zipping past the traffic that is clogged up around Earls court or the Elephant and castle, is a massive motivatior.

in the summer...its is truly wonderful, being free to keep moving no matter how bad the traffic is, with the ability to pop through the park, stop for a latte ar just cruse along with my sunnies and tee shirt on just soaking up the sun and, as you keep moving, you actually keep cool, at least cooler than all the peds and train users.

Love it

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well SMRtCPoW (or Saturday Morning Ride to Clive's Place of Work) was fun. Not a great advert for GPS systems but Lee's paper A-Z saved the day!!! :tongue:

It's a good run, quite quick, not too many hills, you should be fine Clive. We'll soon have you up to 5 days a week!! :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Actually my old mucker. it didn't. His A-Z was for central London only.

Well SMRtCPoW (or Saturday Morning Ride to Clive's Place of Work) was fun. Not a great advert for GPS systems but Lee's paper A-Z saved the day!!! :tongue:

It's a good run, quite quick, not too many hills, you should be fine Clive. We'll soon have you up to 5 days a week!! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
Cheers chaps. Today proved to me that the ride is totally doable. Despite the little detour on route we still made good time the way home was a breeze except for a couple of killer hills. I reckon I can get it down to 1h30 with a bit of work.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread. I will let you know how I get on once I do my first run.

Clive

martint235

Dog on a bike
Clive, I'd go early if I were you, around the 7am mark. The SC into Catford and out could be a pain, once you turn left at Dulwich I think you'll be against the flow of traffic so you should be ok. Not sure about on the way back, I think the SC will be busy both ways from when you get to Clapham. Definitely give it a go though and you will probably find short cuts that make it better.

Top Bottom