Todays 'Incident'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Thinking of emailing this into the local council. any thoughts?
My link

I am contacting you to inform you of the alarming road sense and driving of one (I assume) your refuse collection drivers. I say assume as normally the new looking vehicles with the Streetpride logos etc seem to be well handled. This vehicle was not liveried in the same manner.

I was riding into work from Maltby, to Rotherham, something I do regularly.

I was travelling towards Broom, from the Stag roundabout. As you'll be aware, just after the right hand junction for Middle Lane South, there's a pedestrian island in the road. As cyclists are advised at such pinch points to ride wide to stop unsafe overtakes that is what I was doing on the approach.

Unfortunately a vehicle started to overtake me. To do so he was in the right hand turning lane, which is preceded by chevrons. I didn't think much of it initially, just thought he must be turning right.

He then realised he didn't have time to complete the manoeuvre and slammed on his anchors, losing quite a bit of speed. Instead of then coming to a stop in the road he proceeded to move towards the left hand kerb. Problem was that I was in this space! I had to slam on my anchors and was forced towards the kerb. Trying to keep one eye on how close my wheel was to the kerb and the other on the rapidly approaching side of the wagon.

The vehicle then accelerated towards Rotherham. As I said, the next vehicle to overtake was a streetpride liveried wagon. He passed safely, as I've come to expect.

The vehicle that initially passed me had no easily visible livery, which is why I have to assume it is contracted to RMBC. The pass happened at 07:30 and its next stop was at the Hospice a few hundred yards further on, on the right hand side, opposite the junctions to Broom Lane and Broom Crescent. I believe the start of the vehicle registration was FNM.

I feel I need to contact you as I honestly believe that should this situation reoccur with a less experienced cyclist, you could be dealing with a death.

Yours

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thinking of emailing this into the local council. any thoughts?
My link

I am contacting you to inform you of the alarming road sense and driving of one (I assume) your refuse collection drivers. I say assume as normally the new looking vehicles with the Streetpride logos etc seem to be well handled. This vehicle was not liveried in the same manner.

I was riding into work from Maltby, to Rotherham, something I do regularly.

I was travelling towards Broom, from the Stag roundabout. As you'll be aware, just after the right hand junction for Middle Lane South, there's a pedestrian island in the road. As cyclists are advised at such pinch points to ride wide to stop unsafe overtakes that is what I was doing on the approach.

Unfortunately a vehicle started to overtake me. To do so he was in the right hand turning lane, which is preceded by chevrons. I didn't think much of it initially, just thought he must be turning right.

He then realised he didn't have time to complete the manoeuvre and slammed on his anchors, losing quite a bit of speed. Instead of then coming to a stop in the road he proceeded to move towards the left hand kerb. Problem was that I was in this space! I had to slam on my anchors and was forced towards the kerb. Trying to keep one eye on how close my wheel was to the kerb and the other on the rapidly approaching side of the wagon.

The vehicle then accelerated towards Rotherham. As I said, the next vehicle to overtake was a streetpride liveried wagon. He passed safely, as I've come to expect.

The vehicle that initially passed me had no easily visible livery, which is why I have to assume it is contracted to RMBC. The pass happened at 07:30 and its next stop was at the Hospice a few hundred yards further on, on the right hand side, opposite the junctions to Broom Lane and Broom Crescent. I believe the start of the vehicle registration was FNM.

I feel I need to contact you as I honestly believe that should this situation reoccur with a less experienced cyclist, you could be dealing with a death.

Yours

I am contacting you to inform you of the alarming road sense and driving of one (I assume) of your refuse collection drivers

Brakes not Anchors

Fatality not Death

Other than that is seems OK.

Am very glad you are OK by the way :smile:

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
[QUOTE 1508253"]
It may not be contracted to the council. There are private companies who collect waste.

Personally I've come to the view that letters like this should be kept short, to the point and formal. I find myself having to weed out the detail when reading them on here, so assume that the customer services rep who reads it will have the same problem.
[/quote]

Indeed, even more so via email. I would go with something like:

"Complaint about xyc, plate AA00AAA

Happened at 00.00am on the 1st Jan 2011 on Example Road, near Another town.

Vehicle did this and that. Put me in danger by bad driving

Please let me know if you need any more information that will help you investigate this.

Regards

Mr Cyclist"

You can then elaborate once the initial contact has been made.

400bhp

Guru
+1

I have to explain difficult concepts to lay people on a daily basis and am involved in negotiations between 2 or more parties. This method works.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As you'll be aware, just after the right hand junction for Middle Lane South, there's a pedestrian island in the road. As cyclists are advised at such pinch points to ride wide in the centre of the lane to stop unsafe overtakes that is what I was doing on the approach.

^ are the changes I would make. Also agree with others about editing for brevity.

Glad you're OK.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
nice ride into work this morning. After the idiot refuse driver yesterday it made a nice change. On the approach to a series of pinch points caused by islands I braced myself as I heard a vehicle behind. A glance over my shoulder showed a wagon, maintaining a safe distance. He did this all the way through the restricted length, not even an impatient 'blip' on the accelerator. He even waited the 30 yards to the bit where the road becomes a short section of dual carriageway to overtake.

:smile:

Top Bottom