TOE CLIPS OR SPDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will be buying a new bike shortly and was wondering about using toe clips or SPD sys , i have used toe clips in the past never had a try with shoes.Using the bike (hybrid) for travelling to work a round trip of 15m :tongue:

Breedon

Legendary Member
SPD's which is what i use, tried toe clips when out testing a bike when climbing and standing out of the saddle i felt as though my toes was taking the weight.

I would advise getting the bike and starting with normal flat pedals. When you are happy with that setup, then it's time to try out some SPDs.

I think toe clips aren't too effective, especially for climbing. Clips and straps are better, but I found them fiddly when I was already spoilt with SPDs.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I had toe clips on my road bike but swapped to SPDs for weekend rides on road. For commuting it may depend upon the terrain (lots of stop/start?) or rough tracks? Also comes down to personal preference.

J4CKO

Toe clips just look so retro, but SPD's are where its at, a light spray of WD40 once a week and a clean to keep them in lovely reliable clicky condition.

firvulag

Now you have decided on SPDs then I suggest that before your first ride you dig out your allen keys and reduce the spring release tension to the absolute minimum.

As you get more confident with them you can then dial it up.

Failure to follow this may result in the commonly known clipless incident and badly bruised pride.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
firvulag said:
Now you have decided on SPDs then I suggest that before your first ride you dig out your allen keys and reduce the spring release tension to the absolute minimum.

As you get more confident with them you can then dial it up.

Failure to follow this may result in the commonly known clipless incident and badly bruised pride.

+1...Golden advice for newcommers to SPD.

Also, adjust the agle of the pedal bracket (latitude-aly), it's amazing how uncomfortable they can be (especially on the knees) if you ride with them angled incorrectly ...dont assume the default setting suits your own personal gait.

PS I use SPD as toe clips gave me numb toes after an hour of riding, if I ever loosened them to allow better circulation, they felt ineffective.

Top Bottom