Tokyo Bikes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MyNameIsEarl

Hi Leslie, I recently built my first fixed gear from an old late 80's steel framed bike I had. The O.L.D. (see below) was 126mm and the new track wheel I bought was 120mm. I just used a couple of 2mm spacers either side of the hub, so I didn't mess with the frame alignment too much.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

When looking at chainline, I had a double chainset (52/42) and just bought some single chainring bolts (very cheap!), removed the outer ring, and refitted the inner ring using the new chainbolts. The halo Aerotrack rear wheel I bought shows that the front chainring should be 42mm from the centre of the frame, and everything seemed to line up okay.

I think if you're riding fixed, chainline and tension has to be spot on. I'm not sure it needs to be so precise for single speed though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leslie

Leslie

Regular
Thanks Earl! (I assume thats your name!)

be nice to see a photo if it!!!

Sharky

Guru
Looks expensive and if you become a serious SS/Fixed rider, you will probably want to go to dropped bars and the expense of new levers. The stem is a quill one and although people will say a quill is more adjustable, most bikes are now ahead stems for strength and maintenance. Pedals are steel rat traps and you will probable want to go clipless.

So you will have more costs in front of you.

But Fixed/SS are both fun and fast - you will enjoy it.

Seen a few of the Tokyo bikes over this way, and hey do look 'pretty'.

Personally, I'd do as already suggested here, have a go at building one up from scratch - way more fun. A while ago this would cost little more than a round of drinks to achieve, but covidbikemania has put up prices of secondhand stuff quite considerably. Like I say, the bike does look pretty in the picture, but half a grand seems an awful lot really :okay:

MyNameIsEarl

Thanks Earl! (I assume thats your name!)

be nice to see a photo if it!!!

Here ya go...the bike cost me £150 and the conversion was another £100

mustang1

Guru
I know a couple of people who have them. One has a particularly nice looking dark blue one. They seem to have lovely paint.

Idk much about the parts or frame quality etc and perhaps they are over priced, but aren't all bikes over priced, it's not like anyone sells bikes at a loss.

Top Bottom