Tom Tom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I remember some talking about garmin units i think they were,like a map while cycling,i was talking to my mate about it and he said he uses this in his car,also it can be set for cycling or walking,he hasnt tried it for these yet but he showed me the settings,anyone have this or similar,how do they rate,any good for the bike,im thinking of getting one if it works as well as it does in the car for cycling and even walking.What do you think?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...angId=-1&catalogId=10151&ddkey=ClickInfo#dtab

numbnuts

Legendary Member
not waterproof....

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
That would be enough not to then,i wonder if there are any covers available for it?

jay clock

Massive member
i have a Tom Tom in the car - excellent but the problems would be mounting it (solvable I assume) and poor battery life (max 2 hrs, prob less). I almost always plug mine in unless very short journey

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
My mate says his is good for 4 to 5 hours,it has a charger that comes with it,or you can plug into the cigarette lighter.

upandover

Guru
I've used my wife's Tom Tom on longer runs, to give me a fix on direction. I set it for cycling, turn off the screen, jack up the volume, and leave it in my mini-backpack. The route tends to be good on the cycling option, and if needed I can add way-points.

It seems to work really well, and with the screen off battery life is significantly extended.

Given that I want directions when cycling (i like to explore and still get home or to Rendezvous) I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these, albeit one with a headphone socket, so that I can get directions through a single headphone, rather than spending a lot more on a GPS navigation unit and extra detailed maps.

Mostly the advantage seems to be that it's a lot cheaper than a navigation gps, albeit with less functions.

Steve

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
It was very noticeable how loud it can be if you turn the volume up.

Top Bottom