Tools for the shed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Ive seen the cheap kits on ebay but don't particularly like the look of many. (look a bit flimsy) Some look pretty good quality eg ICETOOLZ.

Question is, are all the tools in the kit necessary for basic cycle maintenance? Will there be tools in there that you would hardly, if never use?

More interested in getting my cassette off really.Which cassette removing socket would I need for my Trek 4500D. There seem to be quite a few options out there which at the moment have me confused.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You won't go too far wrong getting a £35 kit from Lidl or Aldi. The tools are of no great quality, but they don't need to be....you are only looking after one bike, not dozens every week like a professional mechanic with thousands of pounds' worth of Park Tools' finest.
Buying individual tools is a very expensive route compared to kit purchase.

Get a good supply of cloth rags. You can't have too many of them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've got an icetools chainwhip, seems pretty good quality so i guess the rest of their stuff is OK, esp for the price.

re. your cassette... does this look like it'll match yours...

?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXDsHsz1G-4gwx5RdwlTMFDBG1iaQAre2Az71dTedrIpAY9g7ZHZ8PJIPKQVPFow7m0GgWoFV4&usqp=CAY.jpg

if so, plenty online. and you'll also need a chainwhip.

I've never bought a cycle tool kit, instead just bought the individual tools as and when I've needed them... all of them are seldom used as I don't do a service every few weeks, more like every year or two... but do try to keep the chain serviced in the meantime.

Sharky

Guru
I made a discovery the other day. I had a mavic hub, which had come from a collapsed wheel, following a slight collision with a Corsa. My cassette was still on the hub and I wanted to remove it to put it onto my new wheel.

With it no longer being a wheel , I thought I would have problems using my chain whip to stop the cassette from turning while I removed the lock ring. But I noticed that the larger sprockets all had drilled holes and it was possible to put a screw driver into the cassette and hold it against the hub to stop it moving. The lock ring came off with very little effort.

A good alternative to using a chain whip.

Keith

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I would go for a combination- I bought a cheap and cheerful set from Wheelies- similar to this which I use for the chain whip, locking nuts, crank arm removers etc. but also would get a more expensive set of t-shaped allen keys which you'll use a lot all over your bike.

Top Bottom