total beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hosks

Hi.i am a 45 year old male, just got a hybrid bike(ridgeback supernova)and planning to get fitter.used to cycle lots as a youth but have not for 28 years.
Bikes have changed a lot since then so I will need guiding through things as they appear, so I would appreciate your help and patience.
Thanks.
Hosks

ThePainInSpain

Welcome aboard from an even older beginner. :hello:

Shaun

Founder
Welcome, and if you haven't already found it - pop in the beginners forum - you'll get plenty of help in there. :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

ZIZAG

Veteran
Welcome Hosks . " Its never to Late "
:rolleyes:
I am 20 years older than you .
And I just started back last year . Last cycled In the seventies . :blush:
Now I am loving all my freedom on the bike .Fresh air and exercise

Hope this encourages you .
:hello:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hosks - here's a small list

- you're right. Bikes have changed, but they've changed for the better. The Supernova is a fine, robust bike (and the polished aluminium one is pretty spiffy to look at) and you'll see that in the 28 years you've been away (for shame, for shame) brakes and gearchanging have improved. Take time to get used to brakes that really do stop you in a hurry, and to gear changes that work as if by magic.

- the biggest, most revelatory, change has been clipless pedals and shoes with fancy little devices on the sole to keep your feet at one with the pedals. When you get to that stage ask for advice and encouragement

- advice in writing is one thing, but advice in person is far better. If you've got a CTC group or bike club anywhere near you, consider ringing the secretary and asking if you can come along and get some advice. If the nearest club is a racing club you'll probably not ride out with them, but you'd be surprised how many experienced cyclists will spend time gently showing a novice the ropes, giving advice on pedalling, posture, seat positions and so on and so forth. If you let us know where you are we might be able to point you in the direction of advice.

- hybrids are fabulous bikes - I'm just doing ours up to lend to friends setting off for Kazakhstan - but if you're going for distance they need a bit of fettling. If you start going on longer trips come back for advice. In the mean time you might want to look up 'bar ends'

- lights have changed out of all recognition in the last 28 years. The modern bike light is a fantastic thing. Shop around (Decathlon and Electron are good at the budget end, and the Hope Vision 1 is highly rated for night riding in the countryside) and marvel at the wonder of LEDs

- lurk around the 'Informal Rides...' board on Cycle Chat.

Good luck!

- hybrids are fabulous bikes - I'm just doing ours up to lend to friends setting off for Kazakhstan - but if you're going for distance they need a bit of fettling. If you start going on longer trips come back for advice. In the mean time you might want to look up 'bar ends'

- lights have changed out of all recognition in the last 28 years. The modern bike light is a fantastic thing. Shop around (Decathlon and Electron are good at the budget end, and the Hope Vision 1 is highly rated for night riding in the countryside) and marvel at the wonder of LEDs

- lurk around the 'Informal Rides...' board on Cycle Chat.

Good luck!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Meanwhile - happy cycling Hosks

M

OP
OP
H

hosks

Thanks .i do have a local cycle club and will join after getting a bit fitter.i will take up your other tips (only just getting used to clips and have fell off once whilst stopping and not taking my foot out.felt stupid).my hands go tingly after cycling a while so will look into that.long term aim is coast to coast as I live near newcastle.

Top Bottom