Toulouse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OnDanceatron

Hi there, first time on this forum so be nice...

I'm going to cycling from Toulouse to Montpellier, mainly along the canal du Midi, in a couple of weeks. I've got a few questions around the Toulouse leg of this journey:

1. Has anyone got a good route from the airport to the town centre? I've found this one. I'm a fairly confident commuter cyclist in London, but have never cycled (or driven) in France, and my French lingo is sub-GCSE rubbish. Also, I'm a girl, and I might be getting to the airport quite late, is the route "safe"?

2. Can anyone recommend any hostels/cheap hotels in Toulouse centre that let you bring bikes in?

3. As a London cyclist I'm fairly paranoid about bike theft (with my Abus Granit X-Plus and Abus chain!). Would it be OK just to lock the bike up with one of these locks in Toulouse overnight (if I can't find a hostel that lets me store it inside)?

This is my first tour, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of my trip once I'm happily in Toulouse.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That route looks okay. I got a taxi to the airport myself as my bike was boxed for the flight home. If it's dark don't forget your lights!

I camped so I can't help with a hotel but I'd try and pre-book a hotel that will have a secure area for the bikes. I've never had to leave a bike outside a hotel in France. I don't take a heavy lock as it's not necessary in the sticks but I would be wary in a city centre.

fraefreuchie

Veteran
Hi

You might like to consider staying in one of the cheap hotel chains that France does so well. The Premiere Classe chain is particularly suitable for cycle tourists because all of the groundfloor rooms open directly to outside (as opposed to a corridor) I cycled from Calais to Montpellier last year staying in a mixture of Premiere classe and Formule 1 hotels which are also bike friendly.

http://www.premierec...ne/toulouse.htm

Bonnes vacances.

hubbike

I found it was quite expensive to stay in toulouse. mainly hotels and no real budget hostels etc. but you might be luckier. in any case its a good idea to book in advance.

the route looks okay to me too, (give it a go, what have you got Toulouse?) but you could always just get a taxi with your boxed bike unless your super keen to cycle it. much nicer to head off in the morning. Other than that I can't add much as I went the other way up the Canal du Midi towards Bordeaux!

Top Bottom