Tour de Bristol 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

Today saw the 2024 edition of the Tour de Bristol, a charity event in favour of St. Peter's Hospice. There were three routes to choose from, 40 / 60 / 100km, which all started at the Filton Campus of UWE and meandered around the South Gloucestershire countryside (to varying degrees). The event was well supported with cyclists of all ages, gender and fitness level taking part in the hope of raising around £100,000 for the hospice. I chose to enter this event because of the fantastic end-of-life care they provided to my mother-in-law a few years ago. Having agreed to provide 24hr care to the MiL in her own home for the last three or four days of her life they were still caring for her 8 1/2 months later :ohmy:

Being an old codger I chose to attempt the short route shown below. There were a couple of gnarly hills to climb, one coming out of Thornbury and the killer between Tockington and the A38 - the dreaded Fern Hill! It was, in fact, the first time I have managed to climb that hill without stopping or walking.

My Garmin recorded the route at 43.5km (27miles), 455m (1,493ft) of height gain and a riding time of 2hrs 2mins; so an average speed to 21.2kph (13.2mph) which I am pretty pleased with. I'm also pleased with my medal :thumbsup: Well done to anyone else that took part :okay:
Screenshot 2024-04-13 164433.png

IMG_2043.JPG

Slick

Guru
Today saw the 2024 edition of the Tour de Bristol, a charity event in favour of St. Peter's Hospice. There were three routes to choose from, 40 / 60 / 100km, which all started at the Filton Campus of UWE and meandered around the South Gloucestershire countryside (to varying degrees). The event was well supported with cyclists of all ages, gender and fitness level taking part in the hope of raising around £100,000 for the hospice. I chose to enter this event because of the fantastic end-of-life care they provided to my mother-in-law a few years ago. Having agreed to provide 24hr care to the MiL in her own home for the last three or four days of her life they were still caring for her 8 1/2 months later :ohmy:

Being an old codger I chose to attempt the short route shown below. There were a couple of gnarly hills to climb, one coming out of Thornbury and the killer between Tockington and the A38 - the dreaded Fern Hill! It was, in fact, the first time I have managed to climb that hill without stopping or walking.

My Garmin recorded the route at 43.5km (27miles), 455m (1,493ft) of height gain and a riding time of 2hrs 2mins; so an average speed to 21.2kph (13.2mph) which I am pretty pleased with. I'm also pleased with my medal :thumbsup: Well done to anyone else that took part :okay:
View attachment 727505

View attachment 727506

Brilliant, well done. :okay:

Top Bottom