Tour de Lance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Rumours...

yello

Smokin Joe said:
I bet this news went down a bomb with the French...

Why is there this myth that the French dislike LA? Most of them (not that I've conducted a poll personally) have either never heard of him or don't give a merde. Some French do, I'm sure, but then so do some Brits. There's a paper that has an agenda but that's true of everywhere. And, like everywhere, some people read and believe that paper. It's like saying the English hate Victoria Beckham... oh, hang on, I see the flaw in my argument. :ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
Coming back to racing is not a bad thing for the sport of cycling IMO. He will create interest and press coverage for any race he enters but I hope that if he can't get back to his old high level of performance he then backs off and does not try to ride the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
Part of me welcomes the idea of him walking away and leaving well alone, on the other hand I would like to see him in the Tour and the new blood taking chunks out of him.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
How can people be so dismissive of the idea that ASO would sell the TdF? ASO are a company with a portfolio of events (tennis, golf, cycling etc) on which they wish to make money. They are not charged with the preservation of some part of modern French culture - they will do what ever to maximise the return on their investment.

If another company (which might, or might not, contain any of Armstrong's money) make an offer for the event, which is attractive enough to the investors in ASO, then they would sell. It's simple business.

racingaway

mondobongoPart of me welcomes the idea of him walking away and leaving well alone, on the other hand I would like to see him in the Tour and the new blood taking chunks out of him.[/

Im guessing, and this is just a hunch... that you are anti Lance! ;)

I personally think it will be great for the sport, great for some more press coverage and it will amke the Tour that little bit more exciting next year... oh... and he will win!

Tim Bennet. said:
How can people be so dismissive of the idea that ASO would sell the TdF? ASO are a company with a portfolio of events (tennis, golf, cycling etc) on which they wish to make money. They are not charged with the preservation of some part of modern French culture - they will do what ever to maximise the return on their investment.
If another company (which might, or might not, contain any of Armstrong's money) make an offer for the event, which is attractive enough to the investors in ASO, then they would sell. It's simple business.
Maybe so, but ASO also own L'Equipe. As the Tour is so embedded in the French psyche they would be crucified if they sold it, especially to interests strongly connected with Lance, and their other business interests could suffer.

I have to say that a Tour 'owned' by Armstrong, however tangentially, is a Tour that I would be turning my back on. Talk about putting a vampire in charge of a blood-bank...;)

Top Bottom