Tour de Môn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a great time doing the long one yesterday but that headwind! You know it's bad when you have to pedal downhill. And with gusty side winds I was pleased to finish with the bike.

On the GPX before the event it had just 1277m of climbing - do you'd think not too bad at all. And no real big ones but just up and down all day.

After the ride my GPS had 1765m of climbing - so a 1/3 more. I didn't deviate from the route at all.

So what gives? Is this not such a precise figure after all ?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
So what gives? Is this not such a precise figure after all ?

It's caused by your wheels being slightly out of round. About a mm up and down every revolution all day long adds up to that extra 500m climbing.

Get them re-trued, you'll be fine :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thank your lucky stars it wasn't Saturday. I was out both days a little further down the coast, and Saturday was horrible with the cross winds in places. Head wind and tail wind great, but the cross winds were throwing my bike sideways. I stopped to open a gate at one point, and picking up the bike it was blown sideways and pivoted in my hand. Certainly not August.

I certainly fancy the route one day, but like you said, it's not flat, it's either up or down !

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
We don't do flat in Wales :smile:

There is an old joke that if Wales were ironed flat, it would be bigger than England.

We did an 80miler in Wales last week that was supposed to be as hilly but it was mainly four big climbs. They're much easier than constant up and downs.

fossyant

We did an 80miler in Wales last week that was supposed to be as hilly but it was mainly four big climbs. They're much easier than constant up and downs.

Depends where you are. I ride in the Clwydians and it's up and down - I tend to aim for the valley for the return leg though !

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
Depends where you are. I ride in the Clwydians and it's up and down - I tend to aim for the valley for the return leg though !

Yes that's my stomping ground too. I do love climbing and maybe that's because the club rides always went down to Ruthin and places like that.

fossyant

Yes that's my stomping ground too. I do love climbing and maybe that's because the club rides always went down to Ruthin and places like that.

I ride from our caravan, otherwise it's Cheshire and Peaks. I've learnt to double check the little climb graphs when planning routes around North Wales - came unstuck once. It's going for all the little back roads, some are vertical.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Thank your lucky stars it wasn't Saturday. I was out both days a little further down the coast, and Saturday was horrible with the cross winds in places. Head wind and tail wind great, but the cross winds were throwing my bike sideways. I stopped to open a gate at one point, and picking up the bike it was blown sideways and pivoted in my hand. Certainly not August.

I certainly fancy the route one day, but like you said, it's not flat, it's either up or down !

Thank your lucky stars you were not on the ferry from Holyhead cos I was , and it was up and down and sideways too. Very unpleasant and didn't do my stomach any good.

Top Bottom