Tourer or cross bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aqaleigh

BROCK

it took me a while but I've also just noticed you don't actually know your shoe size?

do you have 1 size 11 & 1 size 12
or
do they swell in the heat?
or
are we talking those bloody inconsistent shoe manufacturers again?

Brock

It's the inconsistent manufacturers. I'm normally 11 but occasionally need a 12.
Not sure any of this is helping Jon with his decision though :ohmy:

Go secondhand. You'll get an equally good frame for the same or even less money.
Spending several hundred pounds on a bike you've never even ridden is a bad idea, especially if it's one designed for long distance riding.

Headgardener said:
Sorry to borrow Jon's thread but does anyone have an opinoin on the Dawes Horizon as I have seen one on the Wiggle site in a size that would fit my short inside leg (19"). Many thanks. HG.
Just thought I would give you all an update here. I have now found a local Dawes dealer so will not be looking to get my bike from Wiggle but would still like an opinion on the Dawes horizon.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Good move finding the local dealer much better to try before you buy and good for ongoing support.

I was looking at getting a Horizon earlier this year but when I turned up to the local dealer (Spa Cycles) they showed me a second hand Ultra Galaxy and I rode it liked it and bought it so can't really offer an opinion on the Horizon other than to say I thought it was a nice bike at a good price and would probably of got one if the Galaxy had not been there as it was much cheaper than a new Galaxy.

When you test ride the Horizon try the Galaxy as well so you are sure, and ask if they have any second hand ones available.

phil_hg_uk

andym said:
I wish I had Spa as my LBS!

Yes it is a stroke of luck they are very handy for all things touring, mind you I remember when I was at junior school (which is round the back of Spa) and Spa Cycles was at that time a sweet shop and we all used to sneek out of the playground and go get some sweets.

I won't say how long ago that was but it was quite a while ;)

Thanks for the info Phil. Unforunatly because, although the LBS will order in a Horizon for me to try, they only stock bikes up to £500 (small family run buisness). So unless they actualy have a Galaxy in stock I won't have much chance to try one:sad:. Never mind as least they are prepared to put a special order in.

phil_hg_uk

Oh thats a shame, I would recommend that you at least look at the Galaxy so you can compare, I don't know what your situation regarding travelling is but evans cylces (http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/complete-bikes/touring-bikes) have the dawes range on the website but I have no idea if any of the branches would have them in stock but maybe worth a look.

Last year I spent about 6 months looking at loads of bikes before I got down to a short list of 2 or 3 and I have to say I am glad I did as I ended up with a great bike and saved a small fortune by finding the second hand one that I bought.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
JonLoveday said:
The time has come to replace my ancient 27"-wheel Spokesman touring bike. I use my bike for (i) a daily 4-mile on-road commute, (ii) weekend rides mostly on the South Downs Way and (iii) occasional longer on-road hostel/B&B tours.

I am very tempted by the Dawes Galaxy 2008, available from Evans for £700, but also the Specialized Tricross Sport, for £780. Any advice on which is the better bet for my type of riding? I find some off-road descents, eg. South Downs Way into Alfriston, a bit hairy on my current touring bike, and wonder if the cross bike would handle them better? I will need a c60cm frame size.

Thanks in advance, Jon

The Specialized Tricross is available in 61cm not 60cm, as bike set up as a multi role bike that can be used for touring, as apposed to touring specific like the Dawes then you will find that the clearances are slightly more generous, especially the forks, a valid consideration seeing as you are riding "some off-road descents".

Brock said:
....And did Specialized sort out the juddery brake problem?....

The fork judder has been mentioned before and not only with Specialized but others who use Carbon forks with cant's or V Brakes, although I don't recall any one mentioning the problem with the current 'Tricross' range. Even with the earlier examples I noticed that those bikes I inspected for myself I could tell the rider was braking with more focus on the front brake than the rear, with more even braking front and rear the vibration stopped. Although I was aware of the problem I would confirm that only a few mentioned that they had experienced any problems.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom