Tourer rear hub recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I need a new rear hub for my tourer, have put a post about this (post no. 41542) in the Bike, Accessories and Kit section, but thought seasoned tourers might miss this, so if you have some suggestions, could you pop over and respond to me original message? Thanks very much! :ohmy:

willem

Über Member
I can't find your orginal post. If you need a 135 mm derailleur hub, I have two suggestions. The first suggestions is Shimano XT 36 spokes, which is good enough for most applications, but not if you are very heavy and use 28 inch wheels. Anything better is quite a bit more expensive. Think of Shimano 48 spoke tandem hubs. or even the same by Phil Wood.
Willem

RedBike

It depends on what sort of touring bike you have.

Before you go any further you need to measure how wide apart your rear dropouts are. Most touring bikes will be 135mm and use MTB hubs. Road hubs are only 130mm wide

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
willem said:
I can't find your orginal post. If you need a 135 mm derailleur hub, I have two suggestions. The first suggestions is Shimano XT 36 spokes, which is good enough for most applications, but not if you are very heavy and use 28 inch wheels. Anything better is quite a bit more expensive. Think of Shimano 48 spoke tandem hubs. or even the same by Phil Wood.
Willem

XT 36 spoked hubs have served me well as a 135kg rider using 700c rims.

NickC

I'm told that the latest XT hub is of a new (and maybe not so durable) design, with a fatter, aluminium axle and consequently a freehub with a bigger radius hole through the middle. According to my source - a Dutch bike builder of note - the jury's still out on whether this new design is as good as the previous one. Until it's proven in long term use, he's recommending the LX hub instead.

april74

I wouldn't even go for LX. Alivio or Deore are perfectly OK for touring wheels and they last forever.

If you need road hubs then go for the cheaper ones like Sora.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
NickC said:
I'm told that the latest XT hub is of a new (and maybe not so durable) design, with a fatter, aluminium axle and consequently a freehub with a bigger radius hole through the middle. According to my source - a Dutch bike builder of note - the jury's still out on whether this new design is as good as the previous one. Until it's proven in long term use, he's recommending the LX hub instead.
There are indications it's not.
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-082.html

Top Bottom