Touring bike brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I had a Saracen Skyline (pretty much a Dawes Galaxy)for several years and was never very excited by the brakes (cheap Shimano cantis). I replaced them with Tektro Oryxs which were quite good but always a bit nerve racking on long descents.

Now I have sold the bike and got a Koga Miyata World Traveller I can only say that I am sold on the flat bar concept which allows V brakes. Descending on the KMWT is a fantastic experience and pressure required on the levers is about a 10th of what I had to put in with cantilever brakes.

Not sure if that helps!!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
bonj said:
why not just normal road bike brakes?
Because normal road bike brakes will only reach round narrow tyres.

If you want fattish tyres for comfort and/or to use off road, and want mudguards to keep you clean and dry, road bike brakes are no good.
"Deep drop" Shimanos are good for 28mm max with 'guards, leaving not much room for mud.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
User482 said:
Please do - I thinking of getting a tourer later this year.
Well I've just about finished building up my tourer (http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17329).
I initially had a bit of trouble setting up the brakes (as they come in many bits!) and totally chewed up one of the inner cables (hence only the front brake on there at the moment).:smile: Got it working eventually and it's definitely an improvement on the BR550s I had before. And would probably be a lot better if someone competent set them up;) They stop me, don't squeak, and modulate well. But do lack the bite I'm used to from the calipers on my road bike...

A bit late to this thread but I have CR520s on my tourer and they are fantastic. Now I can brake on the hoods whereas before I was using oryx cantis and was constantly on the drops hauling on the levers for dear life. These brakes are highly recommended!

U

User482

Kirstie said:
A bit late to this thread but I have CR520s on my tourer and they are fantastic. Now I can brake on the hoods whereas before I was using oryx cantis and was constantly on the drops hauling on the levers for dear life. These brakes are highly recommended!

Good to know. I am hankering after a Van Nic Amazon, which takes cantis.

U

User482

User said:
I have a van Nicholas Amazon with cantis. They brake as effetively on the hoods as they do on the drops. The main thing to remember with cantis is that you need to ensure you have the correct type of pads in them.

For the van Nic, with a carbon fork, you need a softer formula pad - otherwise you'll get judder. You also need to retoe the pads on a fairly regualr basis (depending on how much you use the brakes).

But for mechanical braking efficiency, you can't beat cantis.

Good to know, thanks. Which brand of cantis do you have? And how do you rate the Van Nic?

I have Deore DX cantis on my Breezer MTB so I know about setting them up - it can be a right pain!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Kirstie said:

I am currently trying to get hold of some CR520s but the only sources have non in stock having sold out because of a positive review in the CTC comic. Next deliveries are due in about four weeks time

photo

Top Bottom