Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [ ] Fuji Touring

• [ ] Salsa Marrakesh

• [ ] Cinelli Hobootleg

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TravelVagabond

Hello fellow travelers! I'm looking to acquire my first touring Bike and was hoping for some advice from your Expertise :smile: I made a list of models that goes as follows:

] ] Cube Touring Pro/ Travel Pro Trapeze

[ ] Salsa Fargo

[ ] Kona Sutra (SE)

[ ] Fuji Touring

[ ] Trek 520 Disc/ 920

[ ] Giant Toughroad SLR1

[ ] Salsa Marrakesh

[ ] Surly Disc Trucker

[ ] Cinelli Hobootleg

[ ] Genesis Tour de Fer 30

I'm looking for the best value for price, a bike which is good to handle for a novice, one that is not a pure road bike but can perform well off-terrain as well, I'm not looking to climb steep mountains with it or ride in more extreme conditions, I'm looking for a reliable and comfortable bike which I can ride in a more upright seating position without having to make too many adjustments. I was looking at the Kona Sutra Classic model since my local dealer will have one available in a couple of weeks for a test ride. But I was hoping to get some insight from the collective experience and hopefully make an informed right decision. Your help would be greatly appreciated! 🙏

All the best,

Mario

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If I was looking for a new touring bike in the UK I would be checking out Spa Cycles offerings before even considering anything else.

OP
OP
T

TravelVagabond

If I was looking for a new touring bike in the UK I would be checking out Spa Cycles offerings before even considering anything else.

Thanks for the recommend, didn't know about this one.. I'm not from the UK but Europe, just went with some of the most known brands and models which I found mentioned online, interesting to see though how the recommendation and popularity is different depending on the location; for example Ridgeback I also found talked about quite a few times on this forum. Cheers

Looks like OP knows his stuff. That‘s the be all and end all of touring bikes plus the Spa.

Check out the bike equipment of 2 proven dutch travellers and their bike breakdown. Might help.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x20yIv5gd7Q

Hi Mario

First of all if you do a search on the forum you will find a lot of info on some of those bikes. "What bike? " threads are quite common^_^

I'm looking to acquire my first touring Bike
Your first? You plan on acquiring a stable of touring bikes? 
I've been touring a while and I still have no idea what a "Touring bike" is. People tour on all kinds of bikes.

I'm looking for the best value for price
Aren't we all!  I've a suspicion you're not in the UK and most members here are so bear that in mind.

a bike which is good to handle for a novice, one

A novice. That changes things. But only slightly

that is not a pure road bike but can perform well off-terrain
There's off terrain and there's off terrain. Then there's baggage to consider. How long and how far do you plan to tour? Plan on packing a lot of gear or going ultra light?
I'm not looking to climb steep mountains with it or ride in more extreme conditions,
If someone told me when I set off on my first bike tour that within a year or two I'd be riding and camping at temperatures well below zero I'd have had them committed. Not only did I do it - I enjoyed it!
I started cycling as an adult in one of the flattest places on Earth and instinctively avoided mountains. Now I keep heading for the damn things! ^_^
I'm looking for a reliable and comfortable bike
Aren't we all!!
Comfort is the key. Not just your ass on the saddle or position on the bike but comfort with a load on the types of terrain you plan to ride.
There's also other comfort. The comfort of "knowing" a bike - how it works, how to maintain it. What it can do and what it struggles to do.
Other comfort (or lack of) may have to do with security. A nice shiny new bike can be attractive to thieves. What's the point of going away and being stressed?
I can ride in a more upright seating position without having to make too many adjustments
We know nothing about you in terms of height, leg length etc. You'll need to get on the bike!
I was looking at the Kona Sutra Classic model since my local dealer will have one available in a couple of weeks for a test ride
I'd be wary of buying a bike because it was the only one I could try out. I understand supply lines, are all messed up but unless there's a big ticking clock over your head......

My suggestion is to go second hand.
Get a used bike and get out there and practice on it.
You'll learn so much just by doing.
In most cases any gear you buy (racks, panniers etc.) should be able to transfer to a new bike (bikepacking gear may be more finnicky).
Ride the bike every where - to the shops, to work/school, in all kinds of weathers - that'll knock the "novice" out of the park and give a whole lot of comfort.
Learn how the bike works, get confident with it. Maintain it. More psychological comfort when out on the road.
You wouldn't be the only bike tourist who ends up touring in ways and places that they never considered when they set off on their first trip. Maybe your tastes will change - that might be the time to buy a new bike! 

To my way of thinking, there's a whole lot more to an enjoyable bike tour than the bike. The bike gets us from A to B but we have to choose A and B. Picking good roads, good places to eat and stay, cooking, camping (if that's your thing), dealing with weather, traffic, wild animals (!) are all important components too. A basic bike gets you out there trying out all this stuff.

And if all that falls on deaf ears and you really want to buy a new bike then my only suggestion is to get the one that will allow the widest tyres.

Good luck!

Top Bottom