Touring frame choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Rick, I'd leave cutting until you're happy, you can also use an adjustable stem until position is sorted then go to fixed. Those were my plans for my Surly Crosscheck but, as the photo shows, I've just left them both. But I may be planning on changing the bars again.

picture.php

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ricksavery said:
Considering the extra money for getting this work done at a separate LBS plus the price of a headset and fitting, it might be better to get the frame from somewhere like Sideways cycles, as you did. It seems a reasonable price even considering the carriage to London.

I'm sure there'll be a Surly dealer in London! Aren't Brixton Cycles one? I bought my bike on the strength of being able to old my SCR2 against the frame so I could see how the geometry looked! Lots of advantages to actually seeing the frame, imo.

I'd ask an LBS what they'd charge for supplying & fitting a headset (you don't want to do that yourself, as if you bodge it, your frame is buggered) and facing the BB shell (assuming you want it faced - again, go with square taper and you don't really need to.
I am not sure what a BB with an external bearing is so presumably I've never used one :-) and was intending to fit the one from my existing, but now broken, frame. it is a normal sealed square-taper type, so i presume from what you say that this should present no problems.
Hollowtech, Ultra-Torque, etc etc. The bearings sit outside the BB shell.

If you're going square taper anyway, you should be fine.

Could you recommend a suitable headset (and/or adjustable stem), or would any really be suitable? I thought I was quite capable at bike maintenance, but after this I realise I don't know squat!
I went with Sideways' recommendation for headset, an FSA Orbit II, I think.

The stem was one of the last things I bought, because I wanted to get a feel for the bike geometry before spending on it. In the end, I used my Giant stem (from my SCR2.0) with about 50mm of spacers under - the stem is 110mm. My personal feeling is that Surly spec the complete bike with a stem that's too short, with too much rise, but then I ride a 58cm frame where a lot of others my height ride a 60cm! Sideways cut the steerer for me and fitted the star nut once I was happy with the stem height - they did it for free (as they'd fitted the headset).

I'd say get some wheels on, fit the fork, seatpin & saddle, and see where your hands fall - order a stem that allows you to put the bars where your hands are.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Thanks MacB and John the Monkey. I think I will get an adjustable stem and some spacers and play with the height, then cut when I think it feels OK - I say I will cut, prob get LBS to cut !
Brixton Cycles are a Surly dealer, and will supply and fit frame and headset from £386, which is good but not as good as Sideways.
After a lot of thought I am going to order the frame and headset myself and get the LBS to fit it for £25 (incidentally, they seem to think that the frame should have been faced in the factory if the frame is a reputable one - I didn't mention the brand. Does this sound reasonable? From what I can tell they seem to be a good bike shop)
All I have to do now is decide on a headset (another thread I think !)
Thanks again everyone, apologies for the rambling replies
Rick

Pottsy

I've got a Cane Creek headset on my LHT, fitted when I bought the frame and forks. Cane Creek have a good reputation from what I understand. Mine is a S8.

Top Bottom