trail tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil120867

Über Member
I've bought a Scott Ransom that comes with Scott branded tyres that I here are pretty cr@p. I'm new to trail riding so I need to replace the tyres. I'll be using this bike around Surrey (Barry knows Best etc) and trips to Wales - including Cwn Carn etc. and the Peak district. So Surrey mud and roots and more rocky stuff too. I currently run Nobby nics 2.1 on my XC bikes should I go for bigger versions of these or something a bit more substantial remembering I'll also need to get the 32lb bike up hills too? Conti gravity 2.3 seems a good (cheaper) option.

lukesdad

I would have said thats a bit too big for general trail riding. If your new to it your gonna find places like Cwm Carn etc. hard work. I never use bigger than 1.95s and semi slicks unless its really slippy. The only time Ive riddden larger is on sand. Which was the norm when I lived in N.E hants are you on sand in surrey.

spence

Über Member
The Ransom's great but little too much bike for Leith/Holmbury and some/most of the Peaks. Prolly OK for CC. So may struggle on the ups whatever.
As for tyres, there's a whole raft to choose from and it's difficult to recommend as people find the feel very different. eg I love Vert Pros on my Inbred but found them terrible on the 5-Spot, whether that's because I can push further on the FS than the HT I don't know. Most of the Conti stuff is OK, Mt Kings, Gravity's etc. and you'll be fine upto 2.3/2.4.
On my 5-Spot I find Jones ACX's in 2.2 a good tyre for the Surrey stuff, they seem to grip fine in the loose (yes lukesdad there is rather a lot of sand down there, Wolvens Ln for example) and most other places but the knobs do pop and bang off rocks. XR's 2.2/2.25 work better on that type of stuff.

Have fun what ever.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I think with a bike like a Ransom a bigger tyre is justified, but it all depends on the ridding you do, I've been using the Conti Mt Kings 2.4(supersonic Black Chili versions) for over a year now on my Orange 5, good grip in most places and light enough with a reasonably low rolling resistance for the ups.

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I'm adding the Ransom to the collection, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Cannondale Rush, Scott Scale 20, Trek Liquid etc etc. I'm not new to MTB just the bigger stuff, I'll be keepin the Ransom for drives down the M4. I'm going to invest in Mt Kings. Thanks for the help lads

Top Bottom