Trainer wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay1978

Hi, I have ventured into the world of smart trainers. I only have one bike for everything which is a a Giant CI tend SL 1 Disc. it runs an 11 speed Shimano 105 cassette. I was thinking of getting a cheap wheel and a trainer tyre to use on the trainer. I already have another cassette (same as my existing one) but after advice on a cheap wheel it would fit. I have disc brakes (not that I’d necessarily need brakes).

thank you

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I use a non disc brake Trainer wheel And tyre on my bike. You don’t brake when using a turbo. So whatever you can find. Think mine was £25 plus cost of tyre.

OP
OP
J

jay1978

What’s confusing me more is will the cassette fit any wheel? I don’t really understand wheels, hubs etc

Most newer wheels will take a 11 speed cassette, when buying a new rear wheel, if you ever intend to use it as a real wheel with brakes ensure its a disc wheel, shimano or sram compataible hub,
Not rim brake as you may want ot put a brake rotor on later. ( also if your current wheels are centre lock or 6 bolt rotor fitment, go for the same though not essential but i find mine sit differently and have ot adjust the caliper) , dont buy campagnolo hub they are totally different cassette fitment. or a SRAM XD hub as that for MTBs that take a 10 tooth smallest cog. Looking at the spec of yor bike it takes a 12mm thru axle ( not 15 mm or QR) . I cant tell from the spec whether its a 135mm or 142 mm . Being thru axle should be 142, however you can measure The spacing of a frame/fork is measured from the inside surfaces of the dropouts, where they come into contact with the locknuts of the wheel’s axle. I believe.
Older wheels only went up to 10 speed but older 8,9 speeds fitted as well. it will slide on but is actually to fat and wont fit properly.

Edit found the spec of those wheels, they are 142mm 6 bolt rotor, so you want a disc wheelset, Shimano/ sram compataible, 12mm thru axle 142 mm wide , 6 bolt preferable but a centrelock rotor will do.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
To be honest you're most likely better to find a low cost wheelset than a single rear wheel - a quick look seemed to me to highlight a lot of expensive rear wheels for road bikes with disc brakes rather than cheap wheels potentially suitable for a turbo.

Wiggle have this wheelset up at the moment at what seems a reasonable price - plus you get a front as a spare too.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Have you already purchased the trainer? If not, then it would be easier just to get a trainer that does not need a rear wheel.

Top Bottom